Hirokazu Kore-eda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Soy Cuba

Re: Hirokazu Kore-eda

#276 Post by Soy Cuba » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:36 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:35 pm
New trailer for Monster

I'm just hoping that this is better than Broker, which to me is the weakest film that Kore-eda has made (I haven't seen The Truth).
I've not seen The Truth either but I thought Broker was better than After The Storm

1. Maborosi
2. Nobody Knows
3. Shoplifters
4. I wish
5. Like Father Like Son
6. The Third Murder
7. Still Walking
8. After Life
9. Our Little Sister
10. Broker
11. After The Storm

Really need to see 'Distance'

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#277 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 am

Soy Cuba -- Also missing Air Doll and Hana yori mo naho... (which I loved -- even if many critics did not).

I find it almost impossible to rank the films...

I wish the documentaries (including the one on the Okinawan singer, Cocco) were available with subs.

Soy Cuba

#278 Post by Soy Cuba » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:31 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 am
Soy Cuba -- Also missing Air Doll and Hana yori mo naho... (which I loved -- even if many critics did not).

I wish the documentaries (including the one on the Okinawan singer, Cocco) were available with subs.
Oh I've seen Air Doll too, thanks. Quite liked it, even if I thought it was basically the same film as Spike Jonze's 'Her'.

Hana - I don't really know why but I don't feel compelled to race to it.

yoloswegmaster

#279 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:37 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 am

Which ones are you looking for specificially? Send me a DM as I've found a few of them that have English subs and I did find a 10GB file of the Cocco documentary but I have to see if it has subs included.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#280 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:11 pm

yoloswegmaster -- I think I have versions of most of the older docs with subs of one sort or another (somewhere) -- but I only have the Japanese DVD of Cocco. I mainly wish legit versions exist so more people could see these. ;-)

Soy Cuba -- Hana is set concurrently with 47 Loyal Ronin (which is happening on the edge of Kore'eda's story) -- and is basically a rejection of the ideology behind the Chushingura story. I found it fascinating and quite likeable (and an interesting companion piece to Yoji Yamada's samurai (more-or-less) trilogy.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#281 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:40 pm

The UK BD of Broker seems to have all sorts of extras, while the US seemsto be totally barebones. Anyone seen either of these yet? Especially the UK one. Are the extras worth the extra cost?

longstone

#282 Post by longstone » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:42 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:40 pm
The UK BD of Broker seems to have all sorts of extras, while the US seemsto be totally barebones. Anyone seen either of these yet? Especially the UK one. Are the extras worth the extra cost?
I have the UK Blu-ray, seems like a nice package and yes a decent amount of extras, I have only watched the film and the making of documentary so far,
the doc was quite long and typical of other Kore-eda making of docs ported from Japanese releases in the in the past, it was subbed and featured plenty of behind the scenes on set type footage.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#283 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:49 am

TWBB -- Somehow I've missed this.

longstone -- Thanks for the info. I would rather get a Region A release than a Region B one -- but the Broker Region A release seems so paltry. Very disappointing that it did not at least sub the Japanese release extras...

diamonds

#284 Post by diamonds » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:42 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:32 pm
diamonds wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:24 pm
I'd wager you're right about Hou's influence considering Kore-eda made a documentary about him! It covers Edward Yang too. Shame it continues to be unavailable.
I'd love to see this!
As part of their promotion for the upcoming Edward Yang retrospective, the Film at Lincoln Center Twitter account just posted a link to watch this on YouTube. (If you can't view the tweet, the doc is easily findable by searching its title, When Cinema Reflects the Times)

Basc

#285 Post by Basc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:19 am

I truly love Hirokazu Kore-eda's movies. I've searched far and wide to find his early TV series 'Going my home', but didn't find nothing. It seems there were DVD and BD releases some years ago, but they're not available anymore. No streaming either. Can you help?

FrauBlucher

#286 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:57 pm

I just checked Magnolia's website and there is no sign of Shoplifters (maybe someone would like to double check me). Could that mean they no longer have the rights? The DVD is still available on Amazon. This so much needs to have a bluray at the least

Captain Paranoia

#287 Post by Captain Paranoia » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:30 pm

I can assume that Magnolia is one of those companies that only does Blu-Ray releases of their films sporadically, or maybe they don't do Blu-Ray releases of international acquisitions (For example, The Square was only released on DVD in the United States, as far as I know, despite its Cannes success as well as its Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Film).

nicolas

#288 Post by nicolas » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:41 pm

Captain Paranoia wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:30 pm
I can assume that Magnolia is one of those companies that only does Blu-Ray releases of their films sporadically, or maybe they don't do Blu-Ray releases of international acquisitions (For example, The Square was only released on DVD in the United States, as far as I know, despite its Cannes success as well as its Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Film).
They released the Danish Mads Mikkelsen film Riders of Justice on a barebones BD-25 and his newest The Promised Land is also upcoming. Maybe that’s due to Mikkelsen’s popularity but it’s still very strange for a company like this to pick up such prestigious films and don’t make more with their licenses.

fiendishthingy

#289 Post by fiendishthingy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:40 pm

For what it's worth, I found Shoplifters in the drama section of Magnolia's site. The films are arranged alphabetically, so you have to scroll down. If you click on the poster, it takes you to a Shoplifters-specific site with links to buy the DVD on Amazon or watch at home through various services.

togg

#290 Post by togg » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:16 am

Broker was so moralist I can't get myself to watch any other movie of him.

The Curious Sofa

#291 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 am

togg wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:16 am
I'm starting to wonder whether he has peaked with Shoplifters. I didn't care for the three films (including Broker) he has made since then at all,they feel simplistic when compared to his best films. I'd suggest you check out Maborosi, Nobody Knows or Shoplifters, if you don't like those, he is not for you.

togg

#292 Post by togg » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:33 am

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 am
togg wrote:
I'm starting to wonder whether he has peaked with Shoplifters. I didn't care for the three films (including Broker) he has made since then at all,they feel simplistic when compared to his best films. I'd suggest you check out Maborosi, Nobody Knows or Shoplifters, if you don't like those, he is not for you.
I had liked Nobody Knows. Maybe today I would like it less, with my changes in life, but I think that he also got way more conventional with time. That whole Broker narrative was not only standard but borderline reactionnary. No opening whatsoever. Nowadays I am watching movies from a whole other batch of japanese directors so I think that I have on more chances left for him :P

FrauBlucher

#293 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:34 am

fiendishthingy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:40 pm
For what it's worth, I found Shoplifters in the drama section of Magnolia's site. The films are arranged alphabetically, so you have to scroll down. If you click on the poster, it takes you to a Shoplifters-specific site with links to buy the DVD on Amazon or watch at home through various services.
Yup. I found it. Thanks. I will say that Magnolia seems to have such little respect for physical media

FrauBlucher

#294 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:51 am

The Curious Sofa wrote:
togg wrote:
Still Walking and After Life are two you should strongly consider

The Curious Sofa

#295 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:27 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:51 am
The Curious Sofa wrote:
togg wrote:
Still Walking and After Life are two you should strongly consider
It get that it's highly regarded but After Life didn't do much for me, I found its premise too overworked. Still Walking, I Wish, Like Father Like Son, Our Little Sister and After the Storm are all on the same level for me, not quite at the top but very good and all of them better than his last three films. I have not seen his documentaries or genre films, I'm most curious about Distance, which is hard to get hold of.