Abel Ferrara

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
hearthesilence

Re: Abel Ferrara

#126 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:12 pm

nicolas wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:00 am
Horrendous label. They're selling ancient DVD / VHS masters as HD and use DNR to death as soon as a hunch of grain is on their masters. Sound is also never lossless, which is telling. I (unfortunately) fell for a few of their releases some years ago and it was horrible even before I knew what DNR was. I don't know for this film in particular but from past memories, I wouldn't give them a cent.
Ugh. Thanks for the warning.

Adam X

#127 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:32 am

I could swear I read a negative review of the disc on this very forum, but I can’t find anything. But nicolas’ words sound about right. I really hope someone can see it released in a decent state.

kubelkind

#128 Post by kubelkind » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:53 am

I have this disc and it looked OK to me, a vast improvement from the DVD I saw, at least. I need to dig it out for a full appraisal, and I never saw it on a film print (who has?). I can't see this being a film that will ever look pristine. Not only is there a lot of use of low grade video and 90s standard digital, but also digital processing of the sections shot on film to achieve those dissolves, I believe. I assume the masters aren't too high definition. I'd hate to see it upscaled a la Inland Empire. It is what it is, that's the time period and the aesthetic. One of my favourite films ever.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#129 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm

Oh look, Fear City for a reasonable price

beamish14

#130 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:05 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm

If only China Girl would finally get a decent release

therewillbeblus

#131 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:25 pm

Fear City is the only Ferrara I can think of offhand that I appreciated on a visual level but otherwise got nothing out of. And yet its aesthetic is so attractive that I may pick this up simply to look at it, volume optional.

sabbath

#132 Post by sabbath » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm
Wrong aspect ratio alert from the other site (confirmd by another user):
I got the 101 films disc today. Think the movie is likely the same versions Shout put out - however, while the uncut version plays in the correct aspect ratio, on my set up the main theatrical cut plays full 16x9, which is to say the 1.57 ratio is stretched to fill the whole image, so everything looks fat and distorted. The uncut version is my preferred choice so it’s not a big deal to me, but it seems like someone ****ed up somewhere.
And suspicious gamma setting as well: Caps-a-holic.com