Paul Thomas Anderson

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
therewillbeblus

Re: Paul Thomas Anderson

#201 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:20 pm

As much as I love Phoenix, if he was slated to play Zoyd Wheeler as speculated, it's refreshing to see Penn step into his place, since a) the character would've been too similar to Doc Sportello (note: I only recall the character broadly from reading the book ten years ago), and b) it's exciting to think about Penn returning to a more seasoned version of Jeff Spicoli. Or I could totally see Leo and Penn switching roles, which would also be fun

aox

#202 Post by aox » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:05 am

Any insight into what the film is about?

therewillbeblus

#203 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:32 am

aox wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:05 am
Any insight into what the film is about?
SpoilerShow
Sources are saying that it's precisely what we've expected for some time now: A contemporary adaptation of Vineland.

The change to contemporary setting makes sense, as otherwise the film would be retreading similar examinations of systems from Inherent Vice, as well as the general vibe of that book... DiCaprio looks to be playing Zoyd Wheeler, who I recall being somewhat similar to Doc Sportello's character in the book - at least as much as any two main characters can be similar across Pynchon's oeuvre. I'm very interested to see how PTA imbues a modern creative spin to emphasize the themes.. Reagan and his administration's sociopolitical effects were addressed in the last adaptation, or at least foreshadowed by his governorship, and I imagine PTA's found a way to weave in ideas related to our own current, overwhelming political zeitgeist

aox

#204 Post by aox » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:51 am

As always TWBB, thanks for your insight.

Ribs

#205 Post by Ribs » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:22 am

I just knew that the bit in the release going out of its way to say the film is very commercial had to be a joke telegraphing it was indeed another Pynchon adaptation. Just seemed to me exactly the type of thing PTA would find funny to put out there considering the likely end product.

therewillbeblus

#206 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:37 am

I don't think that was a joke - the book is one of Pynchon's most "commercial" and certainly has the right kind of action set pieces to earn a budget (plus, a hefty chunk of that is paying DiCaprio's salary). When I heard the release's budget comment, I instinctually looked up White Noise's to see if it was about the same (it is). I wouldn't think of either novel as requiring "big-budget commercial" resources offhand, but both have enough action and are more commercial than their authors' other works, and it makes sense why each director would lobby for the highest possible financing to successfully realise each project

I need to read Vineland again. I read it in 2015 in the wake of a post-Inherent Vice Pynchon binge, and prioritized it as maybe my third of his works, solely because I remember PTA mentioning in interviews around the time that he had wanted to make it into a movie long before Inherent Vice was even written. While reading, I tried imagining it as a PTA movie, and just couldn't figure out how he'd approach it tonally. It's wild that I may soon have the answer to that stray thought

The Narrator Returns

#207 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:45 pm

Alana Haim, Teyana Taylor, Wood Harris, and Shayna "Junglepussy" McHayle have joined the cast, so even if it isn't Vineland, it's definitely a Support the Girls fan letter.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#208 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:17 pm

No Haley Lu Richardson, no sale

The Narrator Returns

#209 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:18 pm

Coming out August 2025, in IMAX(!).

therewillbeblus

#210 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 pm

“$115,000,000 Pynchon adaptation on IMAX” comes like a screaming across the sky, and might also be the best indie revolt against the Marvel&co.franchise takeovers put to action yet (not that this won’t be fun popcorn fare too)

Matt

#211 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:19 pm

It sounds to me like a David Zaslav version of a Bialystock and Bloom scam where they spend millions and millions of dollars on a sure-fire flop so they can take a massive tax write-off. Congratulations to PTA for grabbing this perhaps once in a lifetime chance at a blockbuster budget. Kevin Costner, too.

The studios really are in their new Easy Riders, Raging Bulls/Pictures at a Revolution moment with underperforming comic book movies as the new Doctor Doolittle.

therewillbeblus

#212 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:42 pm

Well, my initial thought was that he pulled a wonderful trick on them, but, in a fitting Pynchon-esque revelation of anti-paranoia, it actually makes a ton of sense without looking at it conspiratorially. PTA has consistently brought in customers, has a strong fanbase, has demonstrated he can make "fun" movies and has been vocal about supporting Marvel et al. and finding joy in them, is adapting material that will be fun, and has big-name people still itching to work with him. The Pynchon factor won't actually matter here next to all the green lights for risk management. It just happens that PTA evidenced his ability to make this work, and convinced people accordingly. I'd be shocked if Leo didn't have the kind of pull where either it's in a contract or a studio would be too afraid to bury a picture of his.

pianocrash

#213 Post by pianocrash » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:40 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:42 pm
I'd be shocked if Leo didn't have the kind of pull where either it's in a contract or a studio would be too afraid to bury a picture of his.
Imminent Don's Plum moment is always possible, but I'm reminded more of PTA's insistence re: his other Pynchon adaptation, for which he kept refusing to take credit for in a few interviews in lieu of merely being a vessel ("it's not my movie..."), in which case it's a joke about a joke about an eventual $22 blu ray (no 4k!) that happens to have both of their names on it.