The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

Re: The Lists Project

#2226 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 pm

Just to echo TW here: I'd also be quite sad, but would understand. (I will definitely participate in the sci fi list). I see merit also in senseabove's point.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2227 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 pm

I’m all for these posts appearing in Active Topics and have asked Chris before, but as I recall there was some site issue preventing it. I recommend politely requesting it to cdnchris directly and maybe he can investigate again

senseabove

#2228 Post by senseabove » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 pm

Yeah, last time it came up he thought it might be because the Lists Forum is members only, but I don't believe is is—at least, I can see the forum in an incognito window... But: mission accepted. Your post can quietly explode now.

movielocke

#2229 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 am

I’ve missed lists because my adhd means I never know when any of the deadlines are. I’ve often wished the thread titles had a suffix like “ (ends 20/08/31) “ so I’d not be so recurringly surprised by lists ending.

therewillbeblus

#2230 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:41 am

I just write it in my planner that's on my table/desk, but also subscribe to the tab so I get the alerts when domino gives reminders, which is probably the most helpful feature folks may not use that contributes to missed lists.

I would never advise anyone to submit a list just for the sake of it without thought, but I've definitely been sending in mine earlier as of late once I'm feeling okay about it. So if someone isn't going to be participating hardcore in the sci-fi list, for example, and has a solid list already, it doesn't hurt to submit it halfway through the project in a couple months if you don't see that habit changing. I tend to get worried that I'll miss out on a great rec and hang in there closer to deadline, but honestly I could turn in my sci-fi list now and probably be pretty happy with it (and I guarantee that there are people on here who have 50 films in the genre that they love, and will probably already reflect their final list either way, who will forget to submit their list in Feb!)

You could also just wait for Tenet to come your way and then submit

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#2231 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:08 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:41 am
You could also just wait for Tenet to come your way and then submit
I'd wager that we'd all be, oh, 6 months behind deadline by then

therewillbeblus

#2232 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:22 am

Yeah that was my lame attempt at a joke, but I’m still going to remain more optimistic than that projection!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2233 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 am

I will not be adding dates to the thread titles, sorry. I recommend telling Siri to remind you to make a list in advance of the due date

Toland's Mitchell

#2234 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:28 am

As a newcomer here, I didn't know the lists projects were on a downward trend. It'd be a shame to see them go. I can say firsthand I didn't catch on to the rolling format either as senseabove mentioned, at least not right away. I joined right as the 1940s list ended. I just happened to stumble upon it while browsing/getting used to the site. I put a quick list together, but I totally missed that the horror project was held at the same time. Granted, that's my fault for not looking deeper, but more visibility could help. As for other suggestions, I don't see how adding a deadline to the thread title could hurt. Other than that, as TWWB said, the only other thing I can think of is asking peers to join, but hopefully the situation doesn't become that desperate.

YnEoS

#2235 Post by YnEoS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:38 pm

I haven't been active as much, so I don't expect my opinion to have too much sway, been more focused on reading than movie watching for a bit. I don't have any current plans to participate in ongoing lists, but I would be really excited to participate in a Musicals Redux (which is one of the lists I missed back when I was more active here). Can't completely guarantee I'd make time for it until closer to the start time, but I already did a lot of viewing for it, so it would mostly be revisiting stuff I haven't seen in a while to sort out my thoughts, and catching some last few titles I haven't gotten around to yet. Regardless though, if its not meant to be, I may just end up doing some watching on my own time whenever I get the opportunity and writing up a big post with some thoughts in the old thread.

In terms of general thoughts on lists projects, I found them really helpful in the past when I was first getting into film history, they just happened to align with periods/topics I was interested in exploring, and it was very helpful and motivating to consult the old lists and recommendations and try to watch as much as possible before the deadline. Personally I don't think I would structure my viewing around them on a regular basis again, though it would be fun to participate in an occasional one if the timing was right (though I guess this is going to vary for everyone, so it might not be realistic to expect big participation unless people are willing to make the commitment regardless of if its what they're interested in exploring at that moment). So even if its not meant to continue on in the same way, I appreciate all the effort people put in to past projects, and I think the old lists are still really valuable source of recommendations.

In the near future, I'll probably be looking for ways to contribute more to threads I can do at my own pace rather than following a schedule. I do like the idea of participating in some kind of big list project or something similar eventually, but probably not as a regular ongoing thing. I don't know if it would help if there were fewer projects and possibly a break between them, that way people could focus on more personal viewing choices in between, and when a list started up it might be more like a big event?

TMDaines

#2236 Post by TMDaines » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:41 pm

The 50-film genre lists don’t appeal to me. I have no interest in largely monopolising my watching into one genre for several months.

I love the decade lists and most of the auteur lists seem to be going well enough in recent times. I think 2-3 months for a director/writer/actor seems to be a good length. We’ll have to see how much enthusiasm I can muster for deep dives on Preminger and Kurosawa, when I am starting from a low base, but Fassbinder and Czech New Wave are right up my street.

therewillbeblus

#2237 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:48 pm

That's the beauty of the genre lists though- we get so much time that they don't need to monopolize watchlists like the smaller auteur projects often do. I'll be going to town on musicals by choice but I'll probably be mostly done with sci-fi in a few weeks and then cherry pick at recs that sound interesting from there.

In a utopian world where these list projects stay alive for years to come, I like to imagine myself as someone who would just take some time to put thought into my tastes at the current moment, watch a few old favorites and new films, and submit a list to add to the pile.. like, if I ever have a family or get that second cat

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2238 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Worth remembering that old list project threads stay open and can always be added to with write ups or thoughts that don’t fit in elsewhere on the forum

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2239 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:05 pm

I’m just going to throw this out there as an idea: what if we tried doing a star-based List interspersed with the genre and auteur lists? Many stars with long careers racked up well over a hundred titles, and it might be a different way to try and gauge interest in these viewing exercises. I was thinking one Hollywood and one International to start with. Lots of good choices for Hollywood talent with decades of appearances (though my first thoughts were Robert Mitchum or Burt Lancaster or Bette Davis since they went the distance until they died) but my mind def went to Michel Piccoli for the latter— I think he’d be a particularly strong choice given how many different national cinemas he appeared in. Thoughts?

Feego

#2240 Post by Feego » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:13 pm

That sounds interesting. Would the list ranking be based more on the quality of a star's performance rather than the quality of the film containing it (i.e., voting for an amazing performance in a mediocre movie as opposed to a great film in which the star only appears briefly or is simply not at the top of their game)?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2241 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Good question. I think I’d throw it open to the voter to judge as they see fit. I think either way would have merit as an approach, but fundamentally a worthwhile film would be aided by their appearance even if whatever they do in it isn’t their best work

senseabove

#2242 Post by senseabove » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:31 pm

I was daydreaming about the ideas a star-focused list recently... Obviously it depends on the star, but I’m already casually working through Davis’ and Lancaster’s careers just because they’re popular enough even now that lesser-known movies of theirs come up here and there.

Altair

#2243 Post by Altair » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Cary Grant would perhaps be another obvious choice? Although perhaps his films would overlap too much with previous auteur projects.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2244 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Altair wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Cary Grant would perhaps be another obvious choice? Although perhaps his films would overlap too much with previous auteur projects.
Cary Grant certainly has the numbers and career to merit consideration, I just didn’t choose him since he retired in the sixties. I think he’d be as good a choice as any

mizo

#2245 Post by mizo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:09 pm

We should do Jimmy Stewart so that Mormon TV thing he did where he's a lonely old janitor can be my orphan (nothing could be more befitting of the name)

CantelopeSkiz

#2246 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:35 pm

mizo wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:09 pm
We should do Jimmy Stewart so that Mormon TV thing he did where he's a lonely old janitor can be my orphan (nothing could be more befitting of the name)
Unfortunately, I was shown that in Sunday School a couple of times growing up, so it might not end up as an orphan after all.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2247 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:37 pm

I actually sought it out for an earlier list. It's so, so depressing.
domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:51 am
Mr Krueger's Christmas (Kieth Merrill 1980) Take the most depressing two minutes in TV history-- the snack vendor's fantasy in the "Daydream" episode of NewsRadio-- and stretch it to twenty-five minutes and you have this dour piece of holiday un-cheer, produced by the Mormon Church and starring James Stewart as the titular character. Mr Krueger the elderly custodian loves Christmas but is all alone on Christmas Eve and we follow him in his empty routine as he imagines himself made important in scenarios and situations of fantasy and warmth. And then cruel hard reality crashes back on him and Stewart's down in his basement apartment, talking to his cat. Even the alleged reason for so much pain-- Jesus loves all of us, even those who are alone-- is still just more sad than inspiring, as it depicts Christ as a kind of last resort for those with no one else left. Recommended if you want to place how bad you though this Christmas went for you in proper perspective.

therewillbeblus

#2248 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 pm

mizo wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:09 pm
I love the idea, and similar to genre projects, looking at the merits of the film as evidenced by manipulation of expected signifiers would work based around a star’s evolution. Using Stewart as an example, it would be cool for many to look at the progression of his nice guy persona ultimately bled out in films like The Naked Spur and Vertigo, which absolutely make those films work better for me, but is hardly the first thing listed when analyzing their strengths.

Ingrid Bergman would be my pick, since her star power was perhaps used best of all to accentuate many roles and give meaning to most of the Rossellini collabs, to the point where any other actor wouldn’t have contributed to the films’ thematic effects, let alone impact.

knives

#2249 Post by knives » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:36 pm

I was thinking of star lists too a while back. Obviously it makes sense to start in Hollywood, but it would be fun to eventually stretch out elsewhere. Also Vincent Price gets my vote. Easily my favorite actor of all time.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2250 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:07 pm

I could get behind it depending on who it is.