Criterion and IFC

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
PaganPoet

Re: Criterion/IFC

#101 Post by PaganPoet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 am

Is it safe to assume that Criterion will be handling the production on these? Or will they be IFC transfers under the Criterion label?

Perkins Cobb

#102 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Harmonov wrote:I just picked up Hunger at Blockbuster as an exclusive last night...if you're still interested.
Good catch. Looks like it's also available by rent-by-mail too, along with Lemon Tree. And Summer Hours now has a September 29 release date (as a BB exclusive, that is).

Finch

#103 Post by Finch » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Still Walking as a 2010 title made my day and I haven't even seen the film yet (but The House Next Door's glowing review convinced me to blind buy).

Harmonov

#104 Post by Harmonov » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
Harmonov wrote:I just picked up Hunger at Blockbuster as an exclusive last night...if you're still interested.
Good catch. Looks like it's also available by rent-by-mail too, along with Lemon Tree. And Summer Hours now has a September 29 release date (as a BB exclusive, that is).
I had no idea it was out...I was just browsing and there it was. It made for a happy trip to Blockbuster (only the second time I've gone to a BB in the last 10 years).

ianungstad

#105 Post by ianungstad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 pm

cdnchris wrote: I noticed in the blu-ray.com article that it says their "genre" films will be released by MPI in basic editions but IFC can still licence the same film to Criterion if they want. So even if MPI gets Antichrist I guess there's still a good chance of a Criterion edition, especially since it sounds like all MPI titles will be feature-free. I'd also put money down that they'll release a DVD/Blu-ray for In the Loop.
I think Mulvaney just said Antichrist might not be coming because a decision had not been made when Antoine did the interview. Antichrist is still two months away from even beginning it's theatrical run. I think we will likely see it and In the Loop, as you mentioned. It's likely that Antoine inquired about those titles a little too early in the game and home video plans had yet to be solidified at press time.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#106 Post by Tribe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 pm

ianungstad wrote:
I think Mulvaney just said Antichrist might not be coming because a decision had not been made when Antoine did the interview. Antichrist is still two months away from even beginning it's theatrical run. I think we will likely see it and In the Loop, as you mentioned. It's likely that Antoine inquired about those titles a little too early in the game and home video plans had yet to be solidified at press time.
I think we can safely blame Antoine if it doesn't happen...he jinxed it! :twisted:

Ted Todorov

#107 Post by Ted Todorov » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Does Criterion have something against Rivette? Where is Ne touchez pas la hache (an IFC release)?!? They are releasing the m.e.d.i.o.c.r.e Secrets of the Grain and still no Rivette??

Yo, Criterion, please get with the program!
IFC is playing May Fools this afternoon, so maybe some more Malle is likely to come in this deal.
May Fools has belonged to Criterion/Janus for years now -- IFC shouldn't have anything to do with it. And I hope they release it soon -- a brilliant film, killer Stephane Grappelli score.

James

#108 Post by James » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Ted Todorov wrote:Does Criterion have something against Rivette?
Yes, basically.

Ted Todorov

#109 Post by Ted Todorov » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:22 pm

james wrote:
Yes, basically.
Care to elaborate?

James

#110 Post by James » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Ted Todorov wrote:
james wrote:
Yes, basically.
Care to elaborate?
They don't release his movies, but release Gomorrah?

ellipsis7

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#111 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:46 am

From Screen Daily, Sept 1 - seems to include new info adding to that already known...
IFC Films has signed a deal with The Criterion Collection licensing the prestige DVD label sell-through home entertainment rights for select IFC titles.

Under the terms of the deal, Criterion acquires the rights to distribute select IFC Films’ titles on DVD in the US and will release sell-through special editions of each film.

The partners have already lined up three films from Cannes 2008 – Arnaud Desplechin’s A Christmas Tale on November 10, Matteo Garrone Gomorrah on November 24, and Steven Soderbergh’s Che.

Upcoming 2010 releases include Jan Troell’s 2008 Golden Globe nominee Everlasting Moments, Olivier Assayas’ 2009 hit Summer Hours, Steve McQueen’s Hunger, Hirokazu Kore-Eda’s Still Walking, and Abdellatif Kechiche’s Cesar Award winner The Secret Of The Grain.

Criterion will also release special editions of films from IFC Films’ library including Alfonso Cuaron’s Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Christopher Nolan’s Following.

“From the inception of IFC Films, we modelled our acquisition strategy on Criterion’s but with the intent on focusing on the auteurs of today,” IFC Films president Jonathan Sehring said. “It’s a great honour and thrill for us to embark on this partnership with them. They are the golden seal of approval.”

Criterion’s Peter Becker added: “IFC Films has been on an incredible roll, hunting down daring international films and spotting film-makers whose work will stand the test of time. Criterion has always presented a mix of international classics and director-approved editions of important contemporary films, so this new slate of releases fits our mission perfectly.”
SECRET OF THE GRAIN (aka. COUSCOUS) a marvellous film!...

Fiery Angel

#112 Post by Fiery Angel » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 am

So what was the new info? We knew about all those titles already.

ellipsis7

#113 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:43 am

Fine so - must have missed that then...

eljacko

#114 Post by eljacko » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Still Walking is getting a Criterion treatment? That's pretty cool; hopefully it will lead to Maborosi and After Life... (probably just a dream though)

onedimension

#115 Post by onedimension » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:17 pm

has anyone here seen "Following"? I think I watched it about 8 years ago, it was good but didn't strike me at the time as anything exceptional..

Jun-Dai
監督

#116 Post by Jun-Dai » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 pm

The idea of a Kore-eda film on CC… :-)

I do hope that they'll give it top-notch treatment, though just the idea of a quality R1 release is enough to make me happy. I'm not so overly optimistic as to hope that this would open the door to other Kore-eda films.

justeleblanc

#117 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:58 pm

onedimension wrote:has anyone here seen "Following"? I think I watched it about 8 years ago, it was good but didn't strike me at the time as anything exceptional..
I enjoyed it when I saw it, much more so than Memento or Insomnia. The whole "show them what they have" mantra was pretty enjoyable. Odd that it's getting its own release considering it's barely more than an hour in length.

Saturnome

#118 Post by Saturnome » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm

It's on sale in stores around here in a eye-catching chromed package for 5$CAN. With it's own supplements. Criterion better get a lot of supplements for their usual prices.
I've seen all Nolan's films so far, I've seen it last year and I mostly forgot about it for some odds reasons, though I remember I liked it.

ianungstad

#119 Post by ianungstad » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Last year at the ATP festival they screened a number of short films by directors including both Guillermo Del Toro and Christopher Nolan. I wouldn't be surprised if these shorts that screened were Janus controlled and will make their way to both releases. That alone should be a good selling point for both Cronos and Following.

Doug Cummings

#120 Post by Doug Cummings » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Ted, I strongly disagree with your assessment of Secret of the Grain, which may or may not compare to many of the titles in CC but as far as contemporary cinema goes, it was certainly one of the major standouts last year. And I crave a rare Rivette as much as the next person...

Ted Todorov

#121 Post by Ted Todorov » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Doug Cummings wrote:Ted, I strongly disagree with your assessment of Secret of the Grain, which may or may not compare to many of the titles in CC but as far as contemporary cinema goes, it was certainly one of the major standouts last year. And I crave a rare Rivette as much as the next person...
Unless it underwent some major editing since the Tribeca FF screening, I stand by my assessment. It gave meandering a bad name. So here is my meandering on the subject:

I've become less tolerant of (and yes, it is a very personal assessment) slapdash filmmaking since seeing Reygadas' brilliant Silent Light. Seeing the much lauded Wendy and Lucy (Reichardt) in the following year's NYFF I wanted to stab my eyes out -- the filmmaking consisted of pointing the camera in the relative direction of the action (or not). If there was a prize for bad, ugly cinematography, between Old Joy and Wendy and Lucy her movies already have the lifetime achievement award. "Low budget" does not excuse no talent whatsoever. Yes, Williams' lead performance was good -- I just wish someone with a clue had shot/directed it.

Really I mostly enjoyed Secret of the Grain. But "mostly enjoyed" shouldn't be a ticket to the CC.
To give you an idea of what does -- take something like Mendoza's Serbis (Service). It meandered up and down the stairs, but did so to great effect. I could feel, taste and definitely smell Serbis. I wasn't tasting the couscous in Grain. The scenes didn't add up to more than the sum of their parts. Unlike the execrable Reichardt, Kechiche clearly has talent -- I thoroughly enjoyed his first two films (and think that L'Esquive would have been a much better choice for the CC.) But in the category of contemporary French cinema in the CC, there is a long line of better stuff. Where is Claire Denis???

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#122 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:45 pm

I know a lot of people on this forum enjoyed this film, but "Me and You and Everyone We Know" has a pretty bare edition of the film. I haven't seen it yet (I'm actually renting it tonight. Plan on seeing it by Friday). It's owned by IFC, and like Y Tu Mama Tambien, was licensed to MGM for the DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if it was acquired by Criterion as one of the unknown IFC titles.

CSM126

#123 Post by CSM126 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:50 pm

That was one of the first titles I thought of when I first heard of the IFC deal. Not only is Me and You's current disc bare, the transfer is screwy - whatever idiot oversaw the mastering decided to "fix" the film's pale color pallet by cranking the color intensity way up. I saw that film in a theater and it didn't look like that disc does.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#124 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 pm

I love the film, but God do I not want to sift through pages of bitching about the film if Criterion were to release it-- it's not exactly popular here. And the disc does have deleted scenes

ianungstad

#125 Post by ianungstad » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:48 pm

This IFC release was issued on dvd by Lionsgate, still if we were speculating on future titles, TAPE would seem a likely candidate.

Tape (Richard Linklater)

I don't really see Criterion turning down a Linklater film and I certainly don't see Linklater NOT jumping at the chance to toss a wacky C on another one of his films. (Kristen at Detour filmproduction told me back in feb/march that SubUrbia was licensed to Cri, so he has one title coming at least)

Anyone else think this one is likely?