Criterion and Paramount

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
knives

Re: Criterion and Paramount

#651 Post by knives » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Huh? I wonder where Amazon got their recent shipment from than.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#652 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Amazon has on occasion found a box of OOP titles-- I managed to pick up the Redford Gatsby last year, well in the midst of its gouging. 95% of Paramount titles are OOP, if you see one that's not an obvious candidate for a Blu-ray, pick it up/order it

knives

#653 Post by knives » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 pm

I've been doing that recently (got Prophecy, Hustle, and Targets in the mail today for instance) though it really is hard to predict what they've outsourced. Gatsby any good by the way?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#654 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm

God no, haha

knives

#655 Post by knives » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 pm

For someone so universally respected Jack Clayton sure made a load of stinkers huh? Jonathan Pryce aside his adaptation of Something Wicked This Way Comes is god awful.

movielocke

Re: Criterion Newsletter (Part 2)

#656 Post by movielocke » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 pm

eerik wrote:
movielocke wrote:Other Possibilities, maybe?

Awful Truth
Ruggles of Red Gap
The Wedding March
Midnight
Five Graves to Cairo
The Emperor Waltz
The Heiress
Does Paramount even own any of these titles? The Awful Truth is Sony/Columbia and the rest are with Universal, as they own most of the pre-50s Paramount titles (as far as I know)
Damn. Brain fart on Awful Truth. Had no idea about the pre-50s paramount titles.

BillWatkins

#657 Post by BillWatkins » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 pm

We know they also have The Confession and The File on Thelma Jordon from Paramount.

Roeg's Don't Look Now seems like an obvious choice.

Perhaps they'll release the Director's Cut of Mann's The Keep at the same time as Thief.

There's also:

Boetticher's 7 Men from Now
Wellman's Track of the Cat
Wyler's Detective Story
Sturges' Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Stevens' A Place in the Sun
Haskin's I Walk Alone
Brooks' Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Altman's Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Rosi's The Mattei Affair
Visconti's The Stranger
Last edited by BillWatkins on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#658 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:19 pm

BillWatkins wrote:Roeg's Don't Look Now seems like an obvious choice.
But only if they avoid the existing HD transfer!

beamish13

#659 Post by beamish13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 pm

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is one of those perennial "why the hell has this never been released on DVD?" titles.
Last edited by beamish13 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish13

#660 Post by beamish13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 pm

BillWatkins wrote:Perhaps they'll release the Director's Cut of Mann's The Keep at the same time as Thief..
Does the original cut still exist? Mann won't even discuss that movie in interviews, from what I've heard.

AfterTheRain

#661 Post by AfterTheRain » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Olive Films had picked up Dassin's Up Tight, so that's seemingly out of the question for Criterion. The Stranger could happen, but Criterion would have to deal with the estate of Albert Camus, who apparently didn't like the film version when it came out.

Jeff

#662 Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 pm

BillWatkins wrote:Boetticher's 7 Men from Now
Wellman's Track of the Cat
These two are actually owned by the John Wayne estate and licensed to Paramount, so they aren't possibilities.
BillWatkins wrote:Brooks' Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Rosi's The Mattei Affair
Visconti's The Stranger
All seem very likely. As does Don't Look Now. I haven't been able to make myself get the Optimum despite the great extras. The transfer got such bad reviews, and I've just assumed that Criterion would get it eventually.

Zot!

#663 Post by Zot! » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:45 am

domino harvey wrote:God no, haha
I don't think it's so bad. I really appreciate the jazz age and the disco age collision mise en scène (I remember no shot without a star filter or some kind of heavy gauze across the lens) and Redford is fine. It's certainly going to trounce anything Baz Luhrman will come up with. That said, don't expect something that lives up to the book.

captveg

#664 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:56 pm

It might not fit with Criterion's "typical" release, but I was just thinking The Court Jester would be a worthy release.

captveg

#665 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, we can officially rule out Pet Sematary (LOL), and Sunset Boulevard, as these are the Oct/Nov 100th Anniversary titles from Paramount. Looks like they're going with Catch Me If You Can for December, even though it's a DreamWorks film and not a Paramount film.

That just leaves September unknown, but I'm guessing that's when the Indiana Jones films get slotted for the Anniversary celebration since the release date is still officially unknown beyond "Fall 2012". Or it could be the previously mentioned Samson & Delilah.

duck duck

#666 Post by duck duck » Wed May 02, 2012 2:20 am

If we go from Paramount releasing Chinatown but not Rosemary's, then may be they don't get Sunset Blvd but do get Stalag 17 or Sabrina???

eerik

#667 Post by eerik » Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 am

They are releasing Sabrina in region B territories, such as France (9th May) and Australia (27th June).

duck duck

#668 Post by duck duck » Wed May 02, 2012 3:23 am

I like Stalag much better.... hopefully the CC gets that.

Bruce

#669 Post by Bruce » Wed May 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Personally, I'd be happier if they upgraded Ace In The Hole to Blu. As has been mentioned, Sabrina is already announced in France and Australia, so Paramount are probably going to release it in the US next year. And Stalag 17 has never been one of my favourite Wilder films.

Now if Criterion were to release The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, that would really make my day.

felipe

#670 Post by felipe » Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 pm

captveg wrote:Well, we can officially rule out Pet Sematary (LOL), and Sunset Boulevard, as these are the Oct/Nov 100th Anniversary titles from Paramount. Looks like they're going with Catch Me If You Can for December, even though it's a DreamWorks film and not a Paramount film.

That just leaves September unknown, but I'm guessing that's when the Indiana Jones films get slotted for the Anniversary celebration since the release date is still officially unknown beyond "Fall 2012". Or it could be the previously mentioned Samson & Delilah.
As much as I love Catch me if you Can, it makes me sad they'll release such a current and bankable film (which they could be releasing just about any other time) instead of an actual catalog film that would celebrate their anniversary.

dwk

#671 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't think Criterion (or any other indie company) will be releasing Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Cliff MacMillan from Shout Factory posted the following over at AV Maniacs forum
Cliff wrote:I asked Paramount for that film, but it's a music issue. Someone will need to spend a lot of money clearing the music... so it will probably need to be Paramount.

movielocke

#672 Post by movielocke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 am

dwk wrote:I don't think Criterion (or any other indie company) will be releasing Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Cliff MacMillan from Shout Factory posted the following over at AV Maniacs forum
Cliff wrote:I asked Paramount for that film, but it's a music issue. Someone will need to spend a lot of money clearing the music... so it will probably need to be Paramount.
Sounds like it's right up Twilight Time's Alley. Music clearance is their specialty, and might be made much easier with a limited print run.

Jeff

#673 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm

I wonder if Criterion might finally be able to get their mitts on Francesco Rosi's The Mattei Affair, one of the long-speculated titles in this thread. What sounds like a rather extensive restoration by Cineteca di Bologna, Scorsese's Film Foundation, Paramount, and Museo Nazionale del Cinema of Turin is scheduled to premiere in Venice.

ianungstad

#674 Post by ianungstad » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Amazon has solicits for the first 90 or so Paramount titles to be distributed by Warner Brothers. I'm a little concerned with the MSRP. For example, Zodiac is being reissued on DVD (no blu?!) at a price point of $5.98. There's no way that this has the extras from the special edition. Most of the titles are at similar price points.

Some of the deep catalog titles picked up by Warner: Sunset Boulevard, Stalog 17, War and Peace, Sabrina, The Shootist, To Catch a Thief, Three Days of the Condor,Terms of Endearment, War of the Worlds, Sons of Katie Elder, Shane, Warriors, Will Penny, When Worlds Collide, Serpico, We're No Angels, Wings, Ten Commandments, Witness, True Grit, Sorry Wrong Number

HistoryProf

#675 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:03 am

I sure hope they port over Paramount's awesome cover art: