Criterion Blu-ray

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Gaddis

Re: Criterion Blu-ray

#1526 Post by Gaddis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:38 am

John Edmond wrote:Curious as to what the penetration is like for Australia which isn't suffering from an austerity drive - it does seem like everyone has one sometimes.
Well, I'm across the ditch in New Zealand and working in a rental/sale store for the past five years. We get asked if we have Blu-ray maybe twice a month at the most, and sell one or two a month. Its a non-event here, although some of the other shops swear they rent them constantly. I call bullshit.

Matt

#1527 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

Ishmael wrote:
Drucker wrote:I wonder if some people hated CDs when they came out for this reason (obviously CDs didn't sound great, really, until relatively recently...but still...)
Yup, I remember when CDs first came out, I often heard people say that the sound was too clean or too cold.
I remember when it was the fad to color the inside ring of your CDs with a Sharpie to make them sound "warmer." The record store I worked in had markers for sale by the register to take advantage of this.

flyonthewall2983

#1528 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Did it work?

triodelover

#1529 Post by triodelover » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:10 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Did it work?
Depended on how susceptible you were to the power of suggestion. :wink:

There were (and are) a host of issues with digital and the best analog set-ups will still sound more like the real thing, but the fundamental problem was always the sampling and bit rates. If you go back to issues of The Journal of the Audio Engineering Society from the late '70s and early '80s, you'll find a plethora of articles criticizing the 44k/16 standard the industry settled on at the time. The rate was insufficient to guarantee that overtones and ambient effects would be accurately reproduced. But the industry didn't care. The labels had been under a constant barrage of criticism as the pressing quality of LPS had been in a steady decline since the end of the '60s - lower quality vinyl, thinner pressing, poor QA/QC. The record companies saw the CD as the way out around these issues and didn't care that engineers kept telling them that the sampling rate was too low and would lead to error propagation in the algorithms used to interpolate between data points. High quality sound reproduction was the province of a few aficionados with high end systems while the majority of their customer base listening on cheap stereos were complaining about warps and all the ticks and pops. And so we got "perfect sound forever."

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

DVD better than Blu Ray?

#1530 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Just out of curiosity, which Criterion titles have DVD versions that are superior in certain ways to the Blu-ray version?

Off the top of my head, I know we have:
Double Life of Veronique (DVD has an extra essay in the booklet)
Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD comes with novel)
Last Emperor (TV version and some essays in booklet only available in the 4 disc set)

I'm pretty sure there are other Blu-rays that have trimmed down booklets, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

The Narrator Returns

#1531 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Fanny and Alexander's Blu-Ray was missing the director introductions. And I suppose you could count the new DVD edition of Howards End, considering the problems present on the Blu-Ray.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1532 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 pm

All of the Blu-rays lose the DVD menu screen, which is occasionally a bit of a shame.

The Narrator Returns

#1533 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

The loss of the Rushmore menus made me particularly sad.

rspaight

#1534 Post by rspaight » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:24 pm

The BD of Monterey Pop is missing the vintage Jann Wenner "Rolling Stone" article, if we're being that picky.

EddieLarkin

#1535 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Donald Richie's "biographical sketches" are missing from the BD Kagemusha booklet.
The original "Beauty and the Beast" story by Mme. Beaumont is missing from the BD booklet

BillWatkins

#1536 Post by BillWatkins » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm

I'd say the PQ quality on the Children of Paradise DVD is superior to the waxy DNR'd Blu-ray.

captveg

#1537 Post by captveg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:44 pm

By my count, when including the the announced titles through January '13, we're at 1/3rd of the DVD collection also being on Blu-ray (as Spine #'s go, 229/644). That averages to 4.5 releases a month (50 months since the first BDs in 12/08).

Not bad in ~4 years of BD releases. 86/229 of the BDs are upgrades released after the DVD counterpart.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1538 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:35 pm

captveg wrote:By my count, when including the the announced titles through January '13, we're at 1/3rd of the DVD collection also being on Blu-ray (as Spine #'s go, 229/644).
It's maybe a more helpful measure if you only count spines that didn't initially get Blu-ray releases (i.e. everything before 450, and about 50 titles between 450 and 534). That way, out of about 500 spines that could at some point have been upgraded, I count 80 so far that have been (about 16%, or 20 a year). At that rate, that's still 21 more years before they could upgrade everything.

captveg

#1539 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 am

swo17 wrote:
captveg wrote:By my count, when including the the announced titles through January '13, we're at 1/3rd of the DVD collection also being on Blu-ray (as Spine #'s go, 229/644).
It's maybe a more helpful measure if you only count spines that didn't initially get Blu-ray releases (i.e. everything before 450, and about 50 titles between 450 and 534). That way, out of about 500 spines that could at some point have been upgraded, I count 80 so far that have been (about 16%, or 20 a year). At that rate, that's still 21 more years before they could upgrade everything.
Here's the breakdown:

Spines 1-449

85 have been upgraded.

55 DVD-only titles are OOP and unlikely to ever get re-issued (I did not include the BRD Trilogy in this count as it will eventually be re-issued)

So, 85/394 eligible titles are upgraded.

Spines 450-534 (534, L’enfance nue, last DVD-only release)

Of these 85:

32 were released on BD day-and-date with the DVD
1 has been subsequently upgraded (485, The Last Days of Disco)
52 remain DVD only

So, that's 447 (394+52+1) that were originally DVD only that are currently in print, with 86 having been upgraded.

86/447 = 19.2%

361 remain, though it is unlikely some will ever be upgraded.

denti alligator

#1540 Post by denti alligator » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 am

I've been surprised by which titles that already exist in HD masters have not yet been upgraded to Blu. Is this purely a sales question?

Where's ...

L'avventura and L'Eclisse
The Dreyer box set
The Vanishing
Red Beard (please!)
Hiroshima mon amour
Fassbinders
Eyes without a Face
Bergman trilogy

and my most wanted:

A Canterbury Tale
Spirit of the Beehive

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1541 Post by Drucker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 am

and La Strada!

MichaelB

#1542 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am

Spirit of the Beehive is out on Blu-ray in Spain, with English subtitles.

The bad news is that it's definitely Region B (I've just checked).

Calvin

#1543 Post by Calvin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:09 am

I've been sorely tempted by the Spanish releases of Spirit of the Beehive and El Sur but I believe neither have extras, is that correct?

MichaelB

#1544 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 am

Calvin wrote:I've been sorely tempted by the Spanish releases of Spirit of the Beehive and El Sur but I believe neither have extras, is that correct?
Aside from trailers for other releases on the same label, that's right. But I picked up both for less than £20 including delivery from Amazon.es the other week.

triodelover

#1545 Post by triodelover » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am

MichaelB wrote:
Calvin wrote:I've been sorely tempted by the Spanish releases of Spirit of the Beehive and El Sur but I believe neither have extras, is that correct?
Aside from trailers for other releases on the same label, that's right. But I picked up both for less than £20 including delivery from Amazon.es the other week.
How are the transfers? Like Calvin, I've been tempted because they are inexpensive.

Gregory

#1546 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 am

captveg wrote:55 DVD-only titles are OOP and unlikely to ever get re-issued (I did not include the BRD Trilogy in this count as it will eventually be re-issued)
I recently sent a Mulvaney e-mail to ask if this was indeed going to become available again. The reply was that it was OOP because they lost the rights...
If we should ever recover the rights to any of our out-of-print titles, we will happily rerelease them. However, to the best of my knowledge, at this time we have no plans to rerelease any of our out-of-print titles.

albucat

#1547 Post by albucat » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm

I've been surprised by which titles that already exist in HD masters have not yet been upgraded to Blu. Is this purely a sales question?
I believe that if you take the time to browse through Criterion's Hulu offerings you'll find many more than that available. Unfortunately they've made that much more difficult to parse online.

bainbridgezu

#1548 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Gregory wrote:
captveg wrote:55 DVD-only titles are OOP and unlikely to ever get re-issued (I did not include the BRD Trilogy in this count as it will eventually be re-issued)
I recently sent a Mulvaney e-mail to ask if this was indeed going to become available again. The reply was that it was OOP because they lost the rights...
If we should ever recover the rights to any of our out-of-print titles, we will happily rerelease them. However, to the best of my knowledge, at this time we have no plans to rerelease any of our out-of-print titles.
This was Mulvaney's reply to me right after the set was taken out-of-print:
Mulvaney wrote:Thank you for your email and question.
There will be a new release in the future of Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy, but we unsure when it will be available.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, and thank you for supporting Criterion!
Best,
Jon Mulvaney
Both Veronika Voss and Marriage of Maria Braun were recently added to Criterion's Hulu channel, while Lola (along with the other two) has been shown with Janus logos since the original releases were discontinued. There has been a change in rights (due to Wellspring's dissolution), but it's safe to say that these films will be reappearing.

denti alligator

#1549 Post by denti alligator » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Is El Sur Blu, too? I mighty jump for those. Though isn't it inevitable that Spirit will be released by CC in Blu?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1550 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:21 pm

denti alligator wrote:Though isn't it inevitable that Spirit will be released by CC in Blu?
Probably. They also have rights to El Sur (currently streaming on their Hulu channel), if you're patient enough to wait.