Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2451 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 am

Considering the heated discussions the Breakfast Club re-release generated through Molly Ringwald's daughter's points, and how Sixteen Candles' content probably could intrinsequially generates even more heated discussions, it might indeed be very complicated for Criterion now to release it.

movielocke

#2452 Post by movielocke » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:42 pm

I think 16 candles got killed by its racism and pro date rape stance. and that decision probably predated the existence of the metoo movement, and it's probably why we got Breakfast Club instead.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2453 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Plenty of existent Criterion releases have flippant treatments of rape, I don't think you can make the claim that they found fortitude to not release a movie like this apart from the climate. Along these lines I 100% expect we will never see Kika get a release from Criterion even though they have the rights

kcota17

#2454 Post by kcota17 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm

This is also why I imagine Last Tango in Paris hasn’t been released by them yet

Boosmahn

#2455 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Sawdust and Tinsel is appearing as a stand-alone title in the "coming soon" section.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2456 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Now there's a priority release

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2457 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:11 pm

By the way, does anyone know what happened with the Chaplin and Lloyd ? I've read theories on Nitrateville that they (actually, silent movies as a whole) sold too little and that Criterion are not going to release anymore because of that now. Does anybody know if that might really be the case ?

What A Disgrace

#2458 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:21 pm

I can't imagine that's the case at all. Its more likely that Criterion have so much on their plate that Chaplin and Lloyd keep getting pushed back. Whether or not they're being pushed back for the sake of something better is a different story.

movielocke

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2459 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 pm

tenia wrote:By the way, does anyone know what happened with the Chaplin and Lloyd ? I've read theories on Nitrateville that they (actually, silent movies as a whole) sold too little and that Criterion are not going to release anymore because of that now. Does anybody know if that might really be the case ?
Completely about what else the producer is working on, nothing to do with sales, I think Susan arosteguy does all the Lloyds, look into what other releases she’s been putting out and you might see her slate has been really full and therefore your question is answered. Also we know box set sets can be the hardest projects to usher out the door and if they are working on a Lloyd talkies box set, there are a lot more opportunities for delay than there would be for another single title.

Chaplin is the same thing, I don’t remember the producer but I think it’s Kim Hendrickson, and she’s been pretty busy with the olympics set and other big projects .

And if the Chaplin and Lloyd licenses have far away (or no) expiration dates, but they have a limited window to work on recently licensed paramount or Warner’s titles, those titles are going to get higher priority.

movielocke

#2460 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Boosmahn wrote:Sawdust and Tinsel is appearing as a stand-alone title in the "coming soon" section.
That’s unusual, their press release excluded that one from the upcoming Bergman upgrades.

Monsieur M.

#2461 Post by Monsieur M. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:41 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:11 pm
Does Criterion own the rights to other Kar-Wai films than Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love? If not, who owns the US rights to his other films? Thanks.

KJones77

#2462 Post by KJones77 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Monsieur M. wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:41 pm
KJones77 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:11 pm
Does Criterion own the rights to other Kar-Wai films than Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love? If not, who owns the US rights to his other films? Thanks.
I don't think anyone knows a full list, but the rumor is they have those two as well as Days of Being Wild, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, and 2046. They haven't confirmed any of these (thought there have been a few hints posted about Fallen Angels on their Twitter).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2463 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Fallen Angels and Happy Together have both been on Filmstruck with Criterion and Janus logos, so I'd say that constitutes a confirmation even if they haven't said anything about physical media plans. Someone at the Metrograph in NYC supposedly said that Janus also has Days of Being Wild, but there's been nothing from official outlets about that. AFAIK 2046 is total speculation based on the fact it's with Sony and thus conceivably available for licensing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2464 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Boosmahn wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:03 pm
Sawdust and Tinsel is appearing as a stand-alone title in the "coming soon" section.
Now there's a priority release
Actually I guess this makes sense since it's the only previous Bergman release that never got a BD upgrade (standalones of Magic Flute and Faith Trilogy having already been announced as forthcoming)

FrauBlucher

#2465 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:15 pm

With the December announcements out of the way, the next stop on the Criterion Express should be the flash sale, which I will make my own little prediction and say it’ll be next week the 25th.

I think the B&N sale will start on the 30th of October as B&N and Criterion have increased the length of the sale.

Minkin

#2466 Post by Minkin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 am

Time for that Speculation Rodeo!

Carnie's Twilight - Continuing trots of Bergman titles for all those completionists out there / people who don't like saving money.

Dry White Season - Euzhan Palcy visited with Criterion, otherwise not confirmed anywhere.

40 Guns + A Fuller Life - Confirmed fairly recently + A Fuller Life was confirmed from Samantha Fuller (promised as a 2016 release...)

Panique - Never confirmed, just a few random guesses here and there. Though I do see that I came up with a list of potential Criterion releases from a TIFF restored films list - and every film I mentioned has since been released, except Fists in the Pocket upgrade (which is now touring from Janus), hmm!

=================================================================
Quite a surprising month in several ways - especially with two left-field choices. Oddly, there will be 5 newsletter clues unannounced by next month's slate of titles - which is probably a record.

motefuzz

#2467 Post by motefuzz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:51 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:40 pm
Someone at the Metrograph in NYC supposedly said that Janus also has Days of Being Wild, but there's been nothing from official outlets about that.
This would be the one for me. A full restoration would be such an incredible cause for celebration. The rest of the HD WKW's i've seen on disc look pretty good. I thought DOBW looked good too, until I saw the print the New Bev ran a few years ago. When people think Christopher Doyle, this is the movie they should be thinking about. Chungking and ITMFL are obviously great, but he's only on them here in there from what I remember. This one is all him, and there was so much more depth and texture than I was expecting in that print, which just isn't hinted towards on that import blu.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2468 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:17 pm

motefuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:51 am
I thought DOBW looked good too, until I saw the print the New Bev ran a few years ago. When people think Christopher Doyle, this is the movie they should be thinking about. Chungking and ITMFL are obviously great, but he's only on them here in there from what I remember.
Was this the double-bill with Chungking Express back in 2015? I had seen the film numerous times on multiple formats (laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray), but that was my first time watching both on 35mm and was blown away about how magnificent Days of Being Wild looked. That's no attack on Chungking Express, but that film feels looser and freer than his more meticulously composed films. I also recently started watching films Wong Kar Wai wrote before his career as a director and it's fun to see more normal comedies and dramas filled with the same kind of dialogue Wong Kar Wai puts in his own films. It made me appreciate his films on another level. I have seriously been itching for more Wong Kar Wai from Criterion and alas, no luck yet. Like a fool, I sold my Blu-ray of Chungking Express expecting it to be re-issued any day now.

yoloswegmaster

#2469 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Someone on reddit went to a screening of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's 'Cure' and claims that it had opened with a Janus Films logo. Any possibility to this?

dwk

#2470 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Yes, Janus/Criterion has had the rights, and have been streaming it, for years.

Noodles1984

#2471 Post by Noodles1984 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Did someone has any info about a release or the rights fot Visconti's The Damned?
There was a 2010 2k restoration at the NY retrospective, someone has seen it?

qw0aszx

#2472 Post by qw0aszx » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 am

Had chance to have a little chat with Pip Chodorov at Beijing International Short Film Festival last week (he came to show the wonderful 16mm prints of some experimental shorts), Criterion is not going to release the Maya Deren set but Kino will. Anyway, I can not wait for this set!

Gerald Christie

#2473 Post by Gerald Christie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am

I recently rewatched my old Criterion dvd of The Ruling Class and it's still as great as I remembered. Has there been any rumors or rumblings of an impeding updgrade?

Ovader

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2474 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 pm

miless wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:39 pm
We can hope for Burn!... (although, now that I look into it, that's MGM)
This evening on Facebook Kino Lorber Studio Classics responded to a question of BURN! and they stated Criterion have the rights.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2475 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:41 pm

And has for at least a decade at this point