Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Red Screamer

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6276 Post by Red Screamer » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:30 am

Peacock wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:39 pm
For what it’s worth I asked them on Twitter about including English subtitles on these Breillat’s and they replied no as the films will also be getting US releases. I wonder by who?
In an interview in the latest Cahiers du cinéma Breillat says all of her films are coming from Criterion. Sweet.

Peacock

#6277 Post by Peacock » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:47 am

Hairspray would be great but hopefully Desperate Living comes first!

And wow, amazing news regarding Breillat. I can’t imagine Criterion releasing a Varda-esq set for her however, I hope that I’m wrong and we don’t get these in drips and drabs for a bit and them miss out on the remainder as has happened with Chaplin, Lloyd etc.

beamish14

#6278 Post by beamish14 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:14 pm

Red Screamer wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:30 am
Peacock wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:39 pm
For what it’s worth I asked them on Twitter about including English subtitles on these Breillat’s and they replied no as the films will also be getting US releases. I wonder by who?
In an interview in the latest Cahiers du cinéma Breillat says all of her films are coming from Criterion. Sweet.

That is absolutely incredible news. I really hope 36 Fillette gets its own spine

willoneill

#6279 Post by willoneill » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:59 am

Am I the only one who takes these director statements with a large grain of salt? I distinctly remember an Atom Egoyan interview around 2020 where he made a similar statement about his first 7 films, only one of which (Exotica) Criterion has released three years on (and another one, Speaking Parts, that they're definitely not releasing since CIP put it out instead).

therewillbeblus

#6280 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:08 am

It seems to happen all the time - including specific instances like Guy Maddin reporting Brand Upon the Brain! would be getting a blu-ray upgrade announced within the year like three years ago. I don't assume the filmmakers are lying so much as Criterion is likely giving the filmmakers information that they are later shelving in favor of other demands and interests

yoloswegmaster

#6281 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:53 pm

This Variety article states that Criterion is currently working on a release of Harold Lloyd's Girl Shy:
And now, besides having some of her grandfather’s films on HBO Max, Suzanne Lloyd has a deal with the prestige-conferring Criterion Collection and Criterion Channel. That company has four Lloyd films as part of its very select library — including “Safety Last,” naturally, with another, “Girl Shy,” currently in the works for a Criterion edition.

FrauBlucher

#6282 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:48 pm

Has there been some confirmation of the sale tomorrow or do we just have to wait till the clock strikes twelve?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6283 Post by Drucker » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:11 pm

criterionsnob

#6284 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:34 pm

Yes, I received another $10 coupon today confirming it does indeed start at noon ET tomorrow. I'm going into this sale with $80 worth of saved coupons!

FrauBlucher

#6285 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:03 pm

Not sure if this has been posted being that it's 4 years old... Lee Kline about Teal and Cyan...Here

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6286 Post by Drucker » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:13 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:03 pm
Not sure if this has been posted being that it's 4 years old... Lee Kline about Teal and Cyan...Here
Thank you for sharing. I've definitely noticed that sort of hue in 35mm prints I've seen, so for example with the upcoming release of Mean Streets I'm still reserving judgement, personally.

Of course, Criterion doing restoration work correctly doesn't necessarily account for restorations they don't handle.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#6287 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:32 pm

Big “God was wrong” vibes from the teal/cyan controversy.

dwk

#6288 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:40 am

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky opens with the Criterion and Janus Films logos.

dwk

#6289 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:44 am

Recent channel additions Jean de Florette and Manon of the Speong open with the Criterion and Janus logos.

jwd5275

#6290 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:26 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:44 am
Recent channel additions Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring open with the Criterion and Janus logos.
As do Basquiat and all five Mark Lewis films (Cane Toads, Cane Toads: The Conquest, Rat, Animalicious, and The Natural History of the Chicken)

ryannichols7

#6291 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:03 pm

The Munekata Sisters not only opens with the CC and Janus logos, but it's also the new 4K restoration that Toho performed

jazzo

#6292 Post by jazzo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:23 pm

I don't have access to the channel to check the opening logos right now, but I see Meet John Doe is also up there. I think CalssicFlix announced they were working on a restoration. Think it's going to be picked up by Criterion?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6293 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:24 pm

It's in the public domain, so anyone can release it

Roscoe

#6294 Post by Roscoe » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:35 pm

And so is Abel Gance's LA ROUE, all nearly 8 hours of it. Encouraging.

Matt

#6295 Post by Matt » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:11 am

jazzo wrote:I don't have access to the channel to check the opening logos right now, but I see Meet John Doe is also up there.
It has no opening logos at all but does have a Sony Pictures Television logo at the end.

onedimension

#6296 Post by onedimension » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:42 am

The Doe restoration is dramatic, the earlier versions I’d tried to watch were unbearable. Now it’s only unbearable if you don’t like Capra-corn syrup.

sabbath

#6297 Post by sabbath » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:20 pm

Janus has Pandora's Box on its website and "Blu-ray" is one of the formats they have.

The six 1426x1080 size jpg stills are certainly not behind-the-scene still photos but screenshots from the actual film and they look nothing like the sepia-tinted one Eureka used recently. In fact, they look similar to the previous master Criterion used for their 2006 DVD, but with better resolution. Perhaps Criterion decided to reuse that because of the "missing coin" issue of the other restoration? In any case, those "stills" look good enough and I don't mind them doing "Le Samourai" for this one.

GiggityGoo

#6298 Post by GiggityGoo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:48 pm

I went to see John Waters this past weekend. I asked him if we would see "Desperate Living" from Criterion in 2024. He said that Criterion is pushing him to do "Hairspray" (!), but he keeps telling them that the fans want DL instead.

So he did an informal poll. He asked, "Who wants 'Hairspray'?" I swear to you, NO ONE made a sound. Not a clap, not a "whoo!", not even a throat clearing. So then he asked, "Who wants 'Desperate Living'?" And the roar from the crowd blew the roof off the place. He made this funny "I know, right?" expression in response. He ended with, "I guess we'll see".

therewillbeblus

#6299 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:20 pm

GiggityGoo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:48 pm
I went to see John Waters this past weekend. I asked him if we would see "Desperate Living" from Criterion in 2024. He said that Criterion is pushing him to do "Hairspray" (!), but he keeps telling them that the fans want DL instead.

So he did an informal poll. He asked, "Who wants 'Hairspray'?" I swear to you, NO ONE made a sound. Not a clap, not a "whoo!", not even a throat clearing. So then he asked, "Who wants 'Desperate Living'?" And the roar from the crowd blew the roof off the place. He made this funny "I know, right?" expression in response. He ended with, "I guess we'll see".
Love it. I literally watched this twice in a row on my last revisit, and I think it's surpassed Multiple Maniacs as my favorite Waters

yoloswegmaster

#6300 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:03 pm

I'm curious to see what films that were released this year are going to get a Criterion release. I can easily see May December getting a release since Todd Haynes already has multiple releases in the collection and it's probably the biggest film Netflix has this year in terms of critical and awards success. I can also see a release for Anatomy of a Fall since we know they love releasing Palme D'Or winners and no listings have been found for a future release from NEON (unlike Michael Mann's Ferrari, which is getting a 4K release in March).

I should also point out that it's going to be Criterion's 40th anniversary next year. I wonder if they are going to mark the occasion with a big box-set or something like that.