Collecting Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
MichaelB

Re: Collecting Criterion

#76 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:42 pm

rrenault wrote:By the way, would people say it's worth "trading in" the Criterion release of Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie for the blu-ray released in the UK? I notice the blu-ray release doesn't have that 90 minute documentary on Bunuel's life.
...which is included on the BFI's region-free Blu-ray of L'âge d'or.

cpetrizzi

Re: Criterion Blu-ray

#77 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:00 am

vsski wrote:Since I started collecting the day the first DVD came out (I did have some laserdiscs previously, but for financial reasons and coming late to the LD days, I was never able to get that many), I also have all the art work variations.
Just curious, were you able to purchase every disc upon release or close to it? That's amazing effort/endurance! Wonder how many collectors here have done the same. Personally, I've had to throw sporatically $$$ at my habit throughout the year so I have been a discontinuous (albeit, discrete!) collector.

I still recall like it was yesterday seeing "The Killer" on the shelf at Tower Records and being blown away at it's retail cost.
Last edited by cpetrizzi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cpetrizzi

#78 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:02 am

Matt wrote:More of a novella.
Thanks for the link, Matt, it's great reading material.

Moe Dickstein

#79 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Once I get caught up (17 to go), then I think I'll plan to get the ones I most want at release and then use the BN and other sales to fill my gaps, saving up for that purpose in the meantimes. It's the most economical way to do it I think and I've always tried to do this with saving money in mind lol

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#80 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:Once I get caught up (17 to go), then I think I'll plan to get the ones I most want at release and then use the BN and other sales to fill my gaps, saving up for that purpose in the meantimes. It's the most economical way to do it I think and I've always tried to do this with saving money in mind lol
I have 89 titles left to go (not including things announced but not released). One of the nice things about having a large kevyip (I loved the link explaining that word; every time I had encountered it on the forum previously I had assumed it was Hebrew) is that unless I REALLY want a title, I really don't feel any need to purchase in between the sales. I have over 100 titles left to watch, and I tend to watch them in order of spine number when I'm not craving anything in particular, so I know it'll be a while before I get to any of the new releases.

vsski

#81 Post by vsski » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:
vsski wrote:Since I started collecting the day the first DVD came out (I did have some laserdiscs previously, but for financial reasons and coming late to the LD days, I was never able to get that many), I also have all the art work variations.
Just curious, were you able to purchase every disc upon release or close to it? That's amazing effort/endurance! Wonder how many collectors here have done the same. Personally, I've had to throw sporatically $$$ at my habit throughout the year so I have been a discontinuous (albeit, discrete!) collector.

I still recall like it was yesterday seeing "The Killer" on the shelf at Tower Records and being blown away at it's retail cost.
To answer your question, yes intially I paid full retail back in the late nineties when discs came out as I bought most of them at my local DVD store (in some cases they had a few sales). Keep in mind CC was publishing a lot less titles than they do now. At one point due to work, I got behind with my collection and then was in catch up mode for a few years, but at that point some of the cheaper sales channels were available, so I could buy larger numbers at once.

Today, I simply wait for the B&N sales to buy most of the items, as my kevyip is large enough that I have plenty to see in between sales - and I'm still about 30 CC titles behind although that number is now getting less and by the time of the next B&N sales this November I will have seen all the titles through the end of this month (but there are always plenty of non CC titles to watch).

cpetrizzi

#82 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:
rrenault wrote:
swo17 wrote:Even if it was a used copy, they'll sell you a booklet for $5 a pop (including shipping).
Maybe not if it's OOP though.
I might go that route, when I have everything just send out one request to save on the shipping. The one OOP thing that I can't get that I want badly is an Amaray case for my Third Man Blu, I've replaced EVERY SINGLE other digipak with the Amaray but not that one.

Maybe I can find someone that only has the Amaray and wants the digipak and do an even swap lol
Anyone know where I can find the replacement case for my digipak of Last Year at Marienbad? I've scoured the usual places, but can't seem to find anything.

Moe Dickstein

#83 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm

They ran out of that one, so your only chance is eBay

Moe Dickstein

Re: Barnes and Noble: Sales and Coupons

#84 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:30 am

I went back today and completed my collection, save two I am waiting for Blu upgrades on. I got 66 Spines during this BN sale and will be eating ramen for a while. But it feels pretty weird to be done.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: Barnes and Noble: Sales and Coupons

#85 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Which two are you waiting on?

Moe Dickstein

#86 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Tokyo Story, which has to be getting redone sooner rather than later, and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold which comes out next month on Blu

Gregory

#87 Post by Gregory » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Where are all the really hardcore completist collectors, the ones who "have to" have every single Criterion release: all the DVDs and Blu-rays, various printing and covers, etc.? Do they exist?

tojoed

#88 Post by tojoed » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Gregory wrote:Where are all the really hardcore completist collectors, the ones who "have to" have every single Criterion release: all the DVDs and Blu-rays, various printing and covers, etc.? Do they exist?
They've all gone mad, because the worst thing you can do, in my experience, is to complete a collection. You feel like Elliot Gould at the end of California Split, "It don't mean a f---ing thing".

Gregory

#89 Post by Gregory » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:34 pm

I'd think there's always something yet to buy. A lot of Voyager Company Telex print-outs on eBay for a few grand? And besides, those satisfactions are permanent.

Moe Dickstein

#90 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 pm

I think after I finished the Laserdiscs then I'd get into collecting the variant DVD artwork, but I doubt I'd ever go to the point of having every release on both Blu and DVD.

matrixschmatrix

#91 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:00 pm

tojoed wrote:
Gregory wrote:Where are all the really hardcore completist collectors, the ones who "have to" have every single Criterion release: all the DVDs and Blu-rays, various printing and covers, etc.? Do they exist?
They've all gone mad, because the worst thing you can do, in my experience, is to complete a collection. You feel like Elliot Gould at the end of California Split, "It don't mean a f---ing thing".
At least new Criterions keep coming out- and they do have some intrinsic value. Much worse is when you complete a run of comic books you can never take out of the bags or something.

FromTheSuburbs

#92 Post by FromTheSuburbs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 pm

This thread is why I registered for the site.

It's oddly refreshing to know I'm not the only completionist out there. I started collecting about 10 years ago with a digipak copy of "The Seven Samurai". It was slow going for a very long time, and I had no intention of trying to complete my collection. Within the past few years, however, the importance and sentimental value of my collection has grown to borderline obsessive levels.

The most fun for me is the hunt- hitting the second-hand stores, pawn shops, and yard sales. As much as I would love to pull the trigger on a copy of "This is Spinal Tap" on Amazon, I'm still waiting for the day I see one collecting dust on a shelf next to a copy of "The Thing". (Just last week I found a copy of "Dead Ringers" for 13 dollars at a bookstore.) Am I alone in this?

Matt

#93 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:59 pm

FromTheSuburbs wrote:This thread is why I registered for the site.
:cry:

accatone

#94 Post by accatone » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 am

Matt wrote:
FromTheSuburbs wrote:This thread is why I registered for the site.
:cry:
As a non collector and pretty much (till today) internet novice i was amazed about this spot and the diverse discussions when i first came here. This is the only webpage i visit regulary besides news pages. Ah, by the way - to this day i do not own a single criterion video release but still managed to buy hundreds of DVDs in Euroland. The collection itself doesn't interest me at all. With books i must admit, its something else…i think the digital reproduction of home video makes it less interesting for me to think of collecting videos than books…

ShellOilJunior

#95 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 am

I don't believe in collecting all films in the collection. I understand some like doing this but it's not for me. I buy when I know I'll watch the film multiple times.

I have a modest collection of titles (just over 100) but I can see myself watching any one of them again and again. I think the problem with a 600+ film library is: how are you ever going to watch all of them? I have a tough enough time deciding when I go to the bookcase to grab a film!

MichaelB

#96 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am

The only complete collection I have of spine-numbered discs is the BFI's Flipside line-up - but that's it. I even turned down Second Run's generous offer to fill all the gaps in my SR collection as a thank-you for services rendered, because I couldn't see much point in devoting a valuable inch of shelf space to Nighthawks and Strip Jack Naked when I already had the BFI's Blu-ray edition.

Similarly, I couldn't possibly justify buying every Criterion, not least because I try not to duplicate titles whenever possible, and there are a great many Criterion titles that are available on European discs for half the price or less (from my perspective) which often use the same transfers. And sometimes the European editions turn out to be equally good or indeed better - but the price differential is such that even if they aren't a perfect match I often still go for the European option. For instance, Artificial Eye's Satyajit Ray BDs are almost certainly a better option for me than Criterion's, provided they haven't fucked up the transfers (which I assume are coming from the same restorations).

EddieLarkin

#97 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:39 am

Like Michael, I'm not particularly fussed about having a complete collection, or even getting a Criterion version when there are equal or improved versions available (Harakiri springs to mind).

But I am willing to spend the extra cash it costs to import simply for a better cover and booklet. Hell will freeze over before I skip a Criterion release in favour of an Artificial Eye equivalent (though I used to say that about Arrow, and look at them now!).

There are a few ITV editions as well, Blimp and Red Shoes for example, which are as good transfer wise as the Criterions, but for me the physical presentation is worth the extra cash (and often the later release dates).
Last edited by EddieLarkin on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

repeat

#98 Post by repeat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:04 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:I have a modest collection of titles (just over 100) but I can see myself watching any one of them again and again
I envy your situation - I'd love to own just my 100 favorite films! But the damage is done already, over the years, and DVDs are hell to get rid of these days :|

The BFI Ozu series is the only collection I'm buying with a completist attitude - and now maybe this new Korean Hong Sang-soo Blu-ray edition, but that's it. I guess I just don't have that kind of an omnivorous appetite for cinema that I'd wish to own films I don't enjoy watching again and again. I do still look up every single thing I'm not familiar with that BFI, CC, MoC, Second Run or Cinema Guild put out (and from now on I add Arrow to that list), but I can't imagine actually collecting any of them.

MichaelB

#99 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:10 am

EddieLarkin wrote:But I am willing to spend the extra cash it costs to import simply for a better cover and booklet. Hell will freeze over before I skip a Criterion release in favour of an Artificial Eye equivalent
If it's the same transfer (or as near as dammit) going for half the price or less (and it often is less), it's Artificial Eye all the way. I couldn't give two hoots about the artwork, and I'm not that bothered about the extras - I have plenty of Satyajit Ray material sitting on my shelves already. Obviously, I'll wait for reviews before making a final decision, but I can't imagine spending a considerable amount of extra cash just for artwork or a booklet.

Arrow

#100 Post by Arrow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:19 am

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as well. I can't stand owning too many things so I'm constantlly widdling my collection down to the few titles I know I'll repeatedly watch (currently 6 criterions). I move a lot, thats one reason, but I also get anxiety from an excess of possessions.