Harold Lloyd and Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jeff

Harold Lloyd and Criterion

#1 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 pm

From The Harold Lloyd Estate's official website:
For theatrical bookings please contact Sarah Finklea at Janus Films

Minkin

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2 Post by Minkin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Jeff wrote:From The Harold Lloyd Estate's official website:
For theatrical bookings please contact Sarah Finklea at Janus Films
Finally!

So we get all the features? Or the shorts? or everything on this page?

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:06 pm

I would think that we'll eventually get everything from the New Line set at least.

ianungstad

#4 Post by ianungstad » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I wonder if Criterion will alternate between sound and silent films like they've been doing with the Chaplins. I wouldn't be surprised if they put together at least one boxset collecting the more obscure stuff. The Lloyd titles aren't nearly as well known as the Charlie Chaplin films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I agree, these are not the same level of name recognition as the Chaplin titles. I would be shocked if they didn't just throw them all into a mega-set ala the New Line box

knives

#6 Post by knives » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 pm

It's even more likely to keep that standard since these are mostly shorts and not easily organized in the same manner that the Chaplins are.

Saturnome

#7 Post by Saturnome » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:37 pm

I guess we'll get Safety Last at some point, and wait many many many years until something else happen, like a boxset yes.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#8 Post by Shrew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:56 am

If I were them, I'd put out Safety Last, Girl Shy, The Freshman, and maybe one more as mainline releases, then add 1 or 2 other lesser known features (like Feet First obviously fitting with Safety Last) and a few shorts as extras. The remaining shorts and features could probably be released in 1 or 2 boxsets.

But bottom line of my hopes and dreams? This somehow gets The Sin of Harold Diddlebock out of PD hell.

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:I agree, these are not the same level of name recognition as the Chaplin titles. I would be shocked if they didn't just throw them all into a mega-set ala the New Line box
I agree with other posters that Safety Last has more than enough individual recognition (even if it's more for a still than its name) to justify some fanfare, and I imagine that other mainline releases will follow or not depending on how that one fares. Speedy has all that New York location work as a selling point, for example, so a solid and appealing release could easily be built around that. Personally, I'd love to see a box set of the shorts, presented comprehensively and chronologically, but wouldn't be surprised to see most of the holdings released via Eclipse.

What A Disgrace

Re: Harold Lloyd and Criterion

#10 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:30 pm

If The Kid Brother gets dumped into some box, while Safety Last! and others get individual spines, I will be miffed.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#11 Post by Drucker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:48 pm

I got the Kino Volume 1 for the holidays, so for once I can say you're welcome, y'all (kinda)

Brianruns10

#12 Post by Brianruns10 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Minkin wrote:So we get all the features? Or the shorts? or everything on this page?
Can't be all those, a fair number are lost...primarily most of the Lonesome Lukes to a vault fire (which IIRC was the impetus for Lloyd to have greater control over the storage and preservation of his subsequent films, which is why his later works have an unusually high survival rate).

manicsounds

#13 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 pm

The New Line/Studio Canal set was only a little of the Lloyd output, and sadly nothing more came of it. Knowing it's now in Janus/Criterion's hands, this means we'll have to wait a way longer time to get the full filmography on physical media (if it even extends that long). On the other hand, we get quality extras and AQ/PQ for that.

And no, I'm not complaining about buying the Lloyd DVD set for £7.08, not at all....

Perkins Cobb

#14 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I'd be surprised if they split the Lloyd films between HD (main line) and SD (Eclipse).

triodelover

#15 Post by triodelover » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:I'd be surprised if they split the Lloyd films between HD (main line) and SD (Eclipse).
They did that with Chantal Akerman.

Perkins Cobb

#16 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:36 pm

And Oshima, for that matter, and others. But the Lloyd films feel like more of a special case -- I'll bet the estate is pushing to get everything released on Blu, since they seem to have continued Lloyd's own philosophy of preserving and presenting the films as carefully as possible. Do we know yet whether the Harold Lloyd Trust already has HD elements on some or all of the films, or if Criterion will be doing that work? That might make the difference.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm

triodelover wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:I'd be surprised if they split the Lloyd films between HD (main line) and SD (Eclipse).
Unfortunately not, or else I'd be the proud owner of a Jeanne Dielman BluRay. Sigh.

triodelover

#18 Post by triodelover » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:13 pm

zedz wrote:
triodelover wrote:
Unfortunately not, or else I'd be the proud owner of a Jeanne Dielman BluRay. Sigh.
But the OP only specified HD (main line). Their transfers have been HD for awhile now. And Jeanne Dielman is in the main line.

knives

#19 Post by knives » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Many eclipse titles are in HD also by that definition.

What A Disgrace

#20 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:18 pm

I can't find any evidence that Jeanne Dielman was from a HD transfer, either.

triodelover

#21 Post by triodelover » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Oh for Christ's sake. ](*,)

captveg

#22 Post by captveg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Excited about this news. I figured Criterion had a chance when Warner opted to not renew the New Line license with the Lloyd Estate. I love the New Line DVD box so I'm not in a desperate hurry to get these releases, but I'll gladly pick 'em up when they do come along.

Now here's hoping Criterion can work out a deal with Warner to get Keaton's The Cameraman and Spite Marriage into the collection so they can have all three of the major Hollywood silent comedians (though the DVDs of those are quite good in their own right).

Brianruns10

#23 Post by Brianruns10 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:41 am

Hear, Hear! The Cameraman would be an outstanding addition to the Collection, and it would really be a nice thing for the three giants of silent comedy represented.

duck duck

#24 Post by duck duck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Since they love Sturges, would they dare put out The Sin of Harold Diddlebock? Maybe, with a what the hell happened commentary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:48 pm

That's a great and underrated film, I'd love if they rescued it from PD Hell and gave it a proper reappraisal