Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
JimmyTango

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#401 Post by JimmyTango » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:33 am

Das Lied vom Leben (Song of Life) (1931) Directed by Alexis Granowsky

Amazing opening sequence and plenty of bizarre images sequental to the plot interspersed throughout. Way ahead of it's time in structure and placement. Not to mention the realistic portrayal of birth and overall feminist view.

admira

#402 Post by admira » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:40 am

http://youtu.be/hP3yOdbExow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zde jsou lvi (Scars of the Past), 1958, Dir. Václav Krška

Apu

#403 Post by Apu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Some fairly recent Argentinian debut films:
Noche by Leonardo Brzezicki https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIFQ6xH1oZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Los Salvajes by Alejandro Fadel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q3pgm6ZLLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leones by Jazmin Lopez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNxTyEynTSk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw them all in Rotterdam a couple of years a go. Three fantastic films.

L.A.

#404 Post by L.A. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:07 pm

For a possible Polish Cinema Classics Vol. IV, would love to see restored films (if available) of the following titles:

Szpital przemienienia (1978)
Anything from Piotr Szulkin or Kazimierz Kutz
Some horror, e.g. Lokis. Rękopis profesora Wittembacha (1970), Wilczyca (1982) or Widziadło (1983)
Wilcze echa (1968), a western

Bikey

#405 Post by Bikey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Well, you never know...
Interesting suggestions - thanks L.A.!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#406 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:11 am

Rooting around in my garage i came across a box of off air taped VHS including docs by Podnieks and Jana Bokova, both of which would make marvellous additions, if available, to Second Run's catalogue.
Podnieks made some of the most moving and chilling works I've ever seen documenting the collapse of the Soviet regime, including the famous scene during the attempted coup in Riga when his cameraman filmed himself dying after being gunned down by Soviet troops. The Independent obituary from 1992 gives a great resumé of his films http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 91369.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Czech/US Jana Bokova seems to have faded from view after a series of city portraits (Hotel du Paradis, Barcelona, Havana and Buenos Aires' Tango Mio) in the 1980s that afficianados of Marc Isaacs et al would relish.

exidor

#407 Post by exidor » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 am

I saw Darezhan Omirbayev's Kairat a few days ago and I'd love to see some more of his stuff. Or just Kairat again in a decent R2 release. Semi-autobiographical new wavy Kazakh films are my jam now.

What A Disgrace

#408 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun May 31, 2015 9:17 pm

Is there any chance that Polish Cinema Classics IV will go back to earlier Polish films? I'd love to see decent editions of Munk's Man on the Tracks, Has's Partings, and even earlier stuff like Ford's Border Street. Not that I'd complain if the next set focused on 70s and 80s films, of course.

MichaelB

#409 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:22 am

What A Disgrace wrote:Is there any chance that Polish Cinema Classics IV will go back to earlier Polish films? I'd love to see decent editions of Munk's Man on the Tracks, Has's Partings, and even earlier stuff like Ford's Border Street. Not that I'd complain if the next set focused on 70s and 80s films, of course.
I don't think any of those has been restored - and that seems to be a minimum requirement with regard to this series.

And quite rightly: pre-restoration Polish masters tend to be awful!

CriterionSecondRun

#410 Post by CriterionSecondRun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:35 pm

I sent them an e-mail recommending Zoltán Fábri's Körhinta/Merry-Go-Round. I'm trying to watch all the films on the "Budapest 12" (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... st#Hungary)

repeat

#411 Post by repeat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 am

I believe I've mentioned this one already, but since its now been restored for Venice Classics: Umut (Yılmaz Güney, 1970). A thoroughly amazing film in every way, I rate it even higher than his Cannes-winning Yol (1982). (And while on the subject of Turkish cinema - did anything ever come out of the Demirkubuz thing..?)

AidanKing

#412 Post by AidanKing » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:08 am

Corneliu Porumboiou's When Evening Falls on Bucharest or Metabolism seems not to have found a UK distributor yet. Might that be a candidate for a Second Run release? If so, it would be nice to see The Second Game as an additional film in the set.

rapta

#413 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:17 pm

How about Jirí Weiss' The Golden Fern (1963)?

admira

#414 Post by admira » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:11 am

Heinrich Böll, good for Second Run?
http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?page=a ... Nr=6414478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.webofstories.com/play/walter.lassally/229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beamish13

#415 Post by beamish13 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:09 pm

liehtzu wrote:Hey, I'm new here. Gonna start with a really long post:

My Asian Recommendations

Since everyone's constantly barking about underrepresented female filmmakers - see this year's Cannes festival ruckus - I will throw the name of Vietnamese filmmaker VIET LINH, especially as Vietnamese cinema (not to be confused with foreign films made in or about Vietnam, like American war films or those of French-Vietnamese Tran Anh Hung) is nonexistent on DVD anywhere. Here is an interview with Linh:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/apr20 ... -a21.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, whether Second Run or anyone else could ever dig up Vietnamese films, even fairly recent ones, is a question.

Also early "5th Generation" Chinese films, particularly the pre-International Breakthrough CHEN KAIGE films, like The King of Children, which I have heard is masterful. WU TIANMING scored a small international success with his great King of Masks, and even a (cropped) Sony DVD release of that film in the States, but his early films are also worth seeing, like Zhang Yimou-starring The Old Well. I still don't think TIAN ZHUANGZHUANG's Horse Thief has seen anything approaching a decent DVD release, and there are a few other interesting possibilities from this filmmaker. JIANG WEN's In the Heat of the Sun has only been released on DVD in Japan, far as I know.

From Korea, I know that PARK KWANG-SU was considered one of the major talents of the Korean New Wave. A few have been released and quickly gone out of print in Korea. Two are surprisingly available complete on Youtube with English subs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmtZ4XY ... ton&wide=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGI-NJ3 ... ton&wide=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but To the Starry Island, for example, just can't be found.

If I had to pick one movie from anywhere on Earth that I'd like to see again it's Korean filmmaker Bae Yong-kyun's strange, mesmerizing The People in White which imagines the burying of tradition by the rapid modernization of the country as a man just released from prison who returns home only to find there's a massive abandoned factory where his village used to be, and wanders like a ghost through it. In an interview Bae said that after his masterful Buddhist film Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East? (which, like People in White he wrote, shot, directed, and edited himself) he'd said all he had to say, so I was surprised to find that he made another film, and I think this one's just as impressive, if not more so.

ANN HUI is a fine filmmaker from Hong Kong who has been making films since 1979. I still don't think her Boat People has ever seen a DVD release, though there may be an obscure one in HK.

From Taiwan, there are a number of impressive films made by people who aren't Hou Hsiao-hsien, Tsai Ming-liang, and Edward Yang. Let me add to the voices for Wu Nien-jen's A Borrowed Life, already suggested a few times here, which sounds amazing, as well as the same director's Buddha Bless America. Other interesting possibilities: Wan Jen's Super Citizen Ko and Hsu Hsiao-ming's Heartbreak Island

Second Run doesn't seem to do much pre-1960s works, but there's a whole world of buried old Japanese treasures out there: Kinoshita, Toyoda, Masumura, Ichikawa, Gosho...

From Europe, Second Run's already released the one movie I've wanted to see again for years, Larks on a String - yeah! - as well as a number of other fine choices. And of course there are a number of other terrific European suggestions here, I just thought I'd plug for the Far East a bit. And I'll add a name to the fray I haven't seen mentioned yet: early French Otar Iosseliani, much of which is available in France, in French, but would be nice to see with English subs.

Oh, and tons of other stuff, tons.
I know this is an old post, but these recommendations are all phenomenal. I've been searching in vain for The People in White forever.

AidanKing

#416 Post by AidanKing » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 am

With Second Run again treating us to first films by great modern directors (Mysterious Object at Noon, Stuff and Dough), I wonder whether Sergei Loznitsa's My Joy might be a possible future release?

xrt

#417 Post by xrt » Thu May 26, 2016 1:54 pm

...may i suggest Szürkület by György Fehér?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7gfP4-Zos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly it's never been on any home media so far...highly recommended for "Bela Tarr-style" fans...

rapta

#418 Post by rapta » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:13 am

Another suggestion: Erik Blomberg's The White Reindeer (1952)

Bikey

#419 Post by Bikey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:03 pm

rapta wrote:Another suggestion: Erik Blomberg's The White Reindeer (1952)
Great suggestion, rapta. A film that we've always hoped to do but weren't able to resolve properly so far. Will keep you informed.

And as for the György Fehér film Szürkület which xrt has mentioned in the earlier post - we've been trying and trying to license both of Fehér's films because they are truly amazing, but so far the materials and the rights are all in limbo-hell. However, we won't rest until we can get to release even one of his films!

rapta

#420 Post by rapta » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Bikey wrote:
rapta wrote:Another suggestion: Erik Blomberg's The White Reindeer (1952)
Great suggestion, rapta. A film that we've always hoped to do but weren't able to resolve properly so far. Will keep you informed.
Very happy to hear it - do keep me informed! :)

Whilst we're on the subject of European fairytales, any chance you had looked into my previous suggestion: Jirí Weiss' The Golden Fern (1963)?

Safe to say both of these would be particularly beautiful films to get your hands on!

JPJ

#421 Post by JPJ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:46 am

Finnish film archive(or National audiovisual institute as they like to call themselves nowadays) are actually restoring The White Reindeer right now for a blu-ray release in october.Don't know yet about english subs.

rapta

#422 Post by rapta » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:41 am

JPJ wrote:Finnish film archive(or National audiovisual institute as they like to call themselves nowadays) are actually restoring The White Reindeer right now for a blu-ray release in october.Don't know yet about english subs.
You're right. I just looked it up, and KAVI are doing a full 4K restoration right now, ready to celebrate the centenary of Finnish independence next year. Hopefully the guys at Second Run can get hold of it - sounds like it'd be perfect for Blu-ray/DVD treatment from them...

L.A.

#423 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:58 am

rapta wrote:
JPJ wrote:Finnish film archive(or National audiovisual institute as they like to call themselves nowadays) are actually restoring The White Reindeer right now for a blu-ray release in october.Don't know yet about english subs.
You're right. I just looked it up, and KAVI are doing a full 4K restoration right now, ready to celebrate the centenary of Finnish independence next year. Hopefully the guys at Second Run can get hold of it - sounds like it'd be perfect for Blu-ray/DVD treatment from them...
KAVI's upcoming Blu-ray (release date October 28th) will have English subs.

admira

#424 Post by admira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:51 pm

http://www.kviff.com/en/programme/film/ ... september/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admira

#425 Post by admira » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:06 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0175602/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/S_sFWysYkVs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;