109 / BD 3 The Shop on the High Street

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
MichaelB

Re: 109 / BD 3 The Shop on the High Street

#51 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 am

Second Run's region-locking policy is in fact identical to that of every other British boutique label, which is to go region-free whenever possible - but they have the advantage that the films in their catalogue are mostly so obscure that their rightsholders simply don't care about region-locking. If they started licensing films from major studios, they'd be in exactly the same boat as Arrow, Eureka, the BFI et al.

Cash Flagg

#52 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:54 am

The BD is currently only available from third-party sellers on Amazon (one of which is asking 50 pounds). Is this just a temporary stock shortage?

Bikey

#53 Post by Bikey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

There's plenty of stock - so must just be some delay getting stock to Amazon.
Or can be ordered through our website: http://www.secondrundvd.com/release_shop.html

hmcnaught

#54 Post by hmcnaught » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 am

I just watched this last night thanks to the SR Blu-ray release. I don't think I'd have watched this film otherwise - and Letterboxd suggests it's quite underrated, perhaps hard to come by? I thought it was a masterpiece, really. Probably the best film I've seen all year, and I was absolutely devestated by it.

Bikey

#55 Post by Bikey » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 pm

hmcnaught wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 am
I just watched this last night thanks to the SR Blu-ray release. I don't think I'd have watched this film otherwise - and Letterboxd suggests it's quite underrated, perhaps hard to come by? I thought it was a masterpiece, really. Probably the best film I've seen all year, and I was absolutely devestated by it.
Thanks, hmcnaught, very glad to know that you saw this amazing film and were affected by it.
Can we suggest that you should now watch Karel Kachyňa’s superb 1966 film COACH TO VIENNA...

hmcnaught

#56 Post by hmcnaught » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Bikey wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 pm
hmcnaught wrote:
Thanks, hmcnaught, very glad to know that you saw this amazing film and were affected by it.
Can we suggest that you should now watch Karel Kachyňa’s superb 1966 film COACH TO VIENNA...
I showed my friend Coach to Vienna yesterday afternoon - he really enjoyed it too!

jbeall

#57 Post by jbeall » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:23 pm

hmcnaught wrote:
An equally underrated and devastating gem is SR's (DVD only) release of Romeo, Juliet, and Darkness. But yeah, Shop on the High Street really is a masterpiece.