BD 207 Rio Grande

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

BD 207 Rio Grande

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Perhaps one of the most underrated of the collaborations between director John Ford and star John Wayne, Rio Grande manages to be both a conclusion and a new beginning for this most iconic of actor-filmmaker collaborators. The film is the final entry in Ford and Wayne’s “Cavalry Trilogy,” following their hits Fort Apache (1948) and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949). Yet it also marks the first of five appearances Wayne made with actress Maureen O’Hara, three of which were directed by Ford.

Wayne is Lt. Col. Kirby Yorke, attached to the Texas frontier in 1879 to protect settlers from attacks by Apaches. When Yorke’s son – a West Point flunkee turned Army private – is assigned to his father’s regiment, tensions flare upon the arrival of Yorke’s estranged wife Kathleen (O’Hara), who wants their teenaged son out of Yorke’s unit. After Apaches attack, the stakes of Yorke’s mission escalate, and he must journey to Mexico where the Apaches are hiding out. With his son and two old recruits (Ford/Wayne regulars Ben Johnson and Harry Carey Jr.) as accompaniment, Yorke faces his toughest battle.

The Quiet Man (1952) may be the most fondly remembered collaboration between Ford, Wayne, and O’Hara, but ironically, that classic wouldn’t even exist if not for Rio Grande, as studio Republic was so (incorrectly!) certain that the later film would lose money, that they only agreed to its production on the condition that Ford and his collaborators make another western first to cover the costs. But Rio Grande stands on its own as yet another outstanding meeting of these remarkable talents.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited Edition O-Card [2000 units]
1080p presentation on Blu-ray, from a new transfer completed by Paramount’s preservation department in 2019
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Brand new and exclusive feature-length audio commentary by western authority Stephen Prince
Scene specific audio commentary with Maureen O'Hara
A video essay on the film by John Ford expert and scholar Tag Gallagher
The Making of Rio Grande – archival featurette
Theatrical trailer
A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by western expert Howard Hughes; a new essay by film writer Phil Hoad; transcript of an interview with John Ford; excerpts from a conversation with Harry Carey, Jr.

Altair

Re: BD 207 Rio Grande

#2 Post by Altair » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Wow, not one of my favourite Fords, but with packaging that beauitful and with those extras it is very hard not to be tempted indeed.

bearcuborg

#3 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 pm

The Artisan DVD ain’t half bad for being 20yrs old. A lot of those extras are included. Overall the movie may not work as well as other Ford pictures of this era, but Victor McLaglen is quite funny.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:03 am

I think it's easily the best of the Cavalry Trilogy, very excited to replace the Olive Blu-ray with this

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#5 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:21 am

I had been holding off on the Olive because of its barebones and high price (and a hope that it would get a Signature edition), but this is on Amazon Prime, so I'll definitely be checking this out for Ford's birthday tomorrow. I'm probably one of the most unbegrudging Ford admirers on this forum, so I rate the other two Cavalry Trilogy installments very highly, so we'll see for this.

Regardless, the packaging and extras look wonderful, and whenever Tag Gallagher shows up to talk Ford, one should be grateful.

AlexHansen

#6 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 pm

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:21 am
whenever Tag Gallagher shows up to talk Ford, one should be grateful.
Preach

Finch

#7 Post by Finch » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Apperson

#8 Post by Apperson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:08 pm

nitin wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:04 am
Dvdbeaver frequently demonstrates that they have no idea about technical matters.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 pm

I think JW looks great with a mustache in this. ;-)

Flapper

#10 Post by Flapper » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:12 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 pm
I think JW looks great with a mustache in this. ;-)
Indeed he does. Another one of my favorite facial-haired-Wayne film's is "Reap the Wild Wind", where he sports some killer sideburns. :D

bearcuborg

#11 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm

After 80% of this movie I felt like I had shortchanged it... It’s one of Ford’s best. Then the stupid ending sours things for me and I remember why I like She Wore a Yellow Ribbon so much more.

Still Sons of the Pioneers are fantastic, the romance works better than SWAYR, as does the McLaglen comedy.

TMDaines

#12 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:39 pm

So does the first printing of this with the slipcase have an extended booklet with the short story in, or is the booklet the same in all printings?

ChunkyLover

#13 Post by ChunkyLover » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:39 pm
So does the first printing of this with the slipcase have an extended booklet with the short story in, or is the booklet the same in all printings?
The booklet is the same in all printings.

TMDaines

#14 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:00 pm

Weird how the slipcase refers to the short story, but nothing else online appears to. I can find no pictures of the actual Blu-ray rear cover online to compare.

https://picclick.co.uk/RIO-GRANDE-Blu-r ... ?refresh=1

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:23 pm

Here’s a pic of my copy, the top loading slipcase version w/the Blu-ray case back

https://ibb.co/CKmcR5K

TMDaines

#16 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:29 am

domino harvey wrote:Here’s a pic of my copy, the top loading slipcase version w/the Blu-ray case back

https://ibb.co/CKmcR5K
Cheers, guys.