New Silent Films from DFI

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
eerik

Re: New Silent Films from DFI

#51 Post by eerik » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:08 am

Damn DFI. They want 99 DKK for the Blu-ray and 130 DKK for shipping. Come on, we're basically oversea neighbours.

McCrutchy

#52 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:35 am

eerik wrote:Damn DFI. They want 99 DKK for the Blu-ray and 130 DKK for shipping. Come on, we're basically oversea neighbours.
I did a mock order to the UK and the charge is the same: 229 DKK / € 30,57, which is € 9,98 more expensive than my order to the USA, even though I don't think the UK is as far away from Denmark as we are (unless the plates have shifted :D)...very strange...you would think the shipping would be much more to the USA.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#53 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:59 am

McCrutchy wrote:
eerik wrote:Damn DFI. They want 99 DKK for the Blu-ray and 130 DKK for shipping. Come on, we're basically oversea neighbours.
I did a mock order to the UK and the charge is the same: 229 DKK / € 30,57, which is € 9,98 more expensive than my order to the USA, even though I don't think the UK is as far away from Denmark as we are (unless the plates have shifted :D)...very strange...you would think the shipping would be much more to the USA.
When my shipping notice came through the shipping had been reduced from 130 to 75. (for France) So my initial wrath has been tempered somewhat.

arsonfilms

#54 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:34 am

Cash Flagg wrote:
arsonfilms wrote:I've never ordered from DFI so I don't know how the math works out, but would it make financial sense for a bunch of people to go in on a bulk order of the Dreyer blus, and then have one person ship them out? Or is that over-complicating things?
You can certainly put me down for one.
I'm not necessarily opposed to doing this myself, but I'd need a pretty firm commitment from a number of Americans for this to be worth while to anyone. I did a mock order to figure out what it would cost, and the total for 4 copies is 584 Krone, plus shipping supplies within the US. That would put the total cost at $34 or so per person before VAT it removed (if it is). 10 copies reduces the cost to $27, and so on. Interestingly, the shipping price actually seems to start going down after that, with 15 people paying closer to $21 each (unless of course customs penalties are imposed). I guess if anyone is solidly interested they can PM me, and if we get enough people we can do a big group order?

martin

#55 Post by martin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:44 pm

McCrutchy wrote:
ola t wrote:1080i at 50 Hz.
That's a disappointment. I wonder why they chose not / were not able to deliver a 1080p24 transfer?
I haven't seen the discs myself, so I'm only guessing, but maybe they've used interlaced frames to get a relative framerate of, say, 16, 18 or perhaps 20 fps instead of 24 (like when NTSC video is reduced from 30 to 24 fps)?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#56 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 pm

There's a lengthy discussion here about how 1080i may be preferable in some cases for silents.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#57 Post by ola t » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:00 pm

That may be the reason. The back cover states that Love One Another runs at 20 fps, and The Glomdal Bride at 17 fps.

arsonfilms

#58 Post by arsonfilms » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 pm

arsonfilms wrote:
Cash Flagg wrote:
arsonfilms wrote:I've never ordered from DFI so I don't know how the math works out, but would it make financial sense for a bunch of people to go in on a bulk order of the Dreyer blus, and then have one person ship them out? Or is that over-complicating things?
You can certainly put me down for one.
I'm not necessarily opposed to doing this myself, but I'd need a pretty firm commitment from a number of Americans for this to be worth while to anyone. I did a mock order to figure out what it would cost, and the total for 4 copies is 584 Krone, plus shipping supplies within the US. That would put the total cost at $34 or so per person before VAT it removed (if it is). 10 copies reduces the cost to $27, and so on. Interestingly, the shipping price actually seems to start going down after that, with 15 people paying closer to $21 each (unless of course customs penalties are imposed). I guess if anyone is solidly interested they can PM me, and if we get enough people we can do a big group order?
Only a handful of people contacted me about this, which wouldn't be enough to justify a bulk order. Anyone else want to split up shipping costs on these? Last call.

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:28 am

ola t wrote:That may be the reason. The back cover states that Love One Another runs at 20 fps, and The Glomdal Bride at 17 fps.
In which case I'd be more suspicious of a 1080p transfer!

Why oh why oh why couldn't the Blu-ray specs have included provision for a genuinely variable framerate? Talk about a tragically missed opportunity.

peerpee
not perpee

#60 Post by peerpee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:08 pm

It indeed was a tragic missed opportunity in the creation of the Blu-ray format. I believe the line was "99.5% of all films in existence are in 24fps, so we went with 24fps" or something.

However, Kino's BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN Blu-ray proves that there's a lot to be said for a 1080p transfer of a non-24fps silent film, and they didn't even optimise it. They took a 25fps HD master of an 18fps film, which had been created by adding repeat frames, and they slowed it down from 25 to 24 for Blu-ray.

MoC's forthcoming COEUR FIDELE is an 18fps film that had been transferred to 25fps (progressive) HD using the same method, but we stripped away all the repeat frames, got it back to 18fps, and created our own extrapolation to 24fps for 1080p Blu-ray. After lots of comparing and mucking about, we think it's pretty bloody great.

I'm going to try and have a close look at this DFI Blu-ray this week.

McCrutchy

#61 Post by McCrutchy » Sat May 07, 2011 11:48 pm

BDInfo scan at AVS Forum.

Paku

#62 Post by Paku » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:28 pm

peerpee wrote:MoC's forthcoming COEUR FIDELE is an 18fps film that had been transferred to 25fps (progressive) HD using the same method, but we stripped away all the repeat frames, got it back to 18fps, and created our own extrapolation to 24fps for 1080p Blu-ray. After lots of comparing and mucking about, we think it's pretty bloody great.
Out of curiosity did you go from 18 to 24fps by repeating frames as well, or through some form of frame interpolation?

jsteffe

#63 Post by jsteffe » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:29 pm

ola t wrote:
jsteffe wrote:Can someone confirm the video frame rate when they receive it?
1080i at 50 Hz.
Thanks for this. I ordered the Blu-ray for our library and was pleased to see that it played without a hitch on a standard U.S. model Panasonic Blu-ray player and Samsung LCD display. It also worked on our Oppo/Pioneer plasma setup.

markhax

#64 Post by markhax » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am

The new DFI Dreyer release of Die Gezeichneten and Glomdalsbruden has now been listed on Edition Filmmuseum's website, which means that the shipping to the U.S. will be cheaper, but they don't indicate that there is a Blu-Ray. Has anyone found another source with reasonable shipping to the U.S. for the Blu-Ray?

L.A.

#65 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Anyone own this release of Die Gezeichneten?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#66 Post by Drucker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 am