New Silent Films from DFI

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
HerrSchreck

Re: New Silent Films from DFI

#26 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:37 am

Count me as another who laments the (probable) loss of this label as a source for silent films. I don't have every (silent) disc from them, but I certainly can say I have most of them-- and each of them is an excellent presentation that was in almost all cases the result of a fabulous photochem restoration process. Each time I pop one of those DFI films in, I marvel at 1) the age of the films (and their aesthetic sophistication along with their entertaining nature), and 2) the gorgeous state of both the elements and the transfer that transmits those elements. Dreyer's Blade af.. is simply amazing, as are the Christensen's, the Blom's, titles like Sandberg's Klovnen, etc.

It'd be a major shame if that well ran dry.

Erikht

#27 Post by Erikht » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:56 am

I'm going to the NECS conference in Lund next week, and thought about going to Copenhagen to see if it is possible to watch the unpublished Dreyers at the Institute. If there are people from the Institute at the conference, I'll see if I get them drunk. Maybe they will let something slip.

otis

#28 Post by otis » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:49 am

I was at the Danish Film Institute this afternoon, and asked about the prospect of more silent DVDs. Not in the near future, but hopefully eventually, was the answer. Apparently the reason for the inactivity is simply that disc producer Thomas Christensen has been busy with other projects.

Erikht

#29 Post by Erikht » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Well, I didn't meet any of them in Lund.

drdoros

#30 Post by drdoros » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:27 pm

There will be at least two more silent films coming out of the DFI and I suspect there will be more after that.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#31 Post by ola t » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Dreyer's Love One Another and The Glomdal Bride on blu-ray! Danish and English titles, bilingual booklet, DVDs to be released later. The way the announcement -- which as I'm writing this is only available in Danish -- is worded suggests that the discs should already be available in the DFI store. Haven't found them on the DFI website though.

(Another Danish Dreyer release was also announced today: a DVD box set from Palladium with the four films Dreyer made for the company: Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, and Gertrud. No information about subtitles or extras. The films will be available separately. The box set may be a DFI store exclusive.)

AlexHansen

#32 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Another disc to add to my next Filmmuseum order.

L.A.

#33 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:17 am

Finally, the Carl Th. Dreyer Blu-ray including Elsker hverandre / Love One Another and Glomdalsbruden / The Bride of Glomdal available for purchase at DFI's store.

perkizitore

#34 Post by perkizitore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 am

Should i include the 3 DFI Dreyer DVDs in my order?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#35 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

perkizitore wrote:Should i include the 3 DFI Dreyer DVDs in my order?
Before anyone gets too excited. Check the shipping!

perkizitore

#36 Post by perkizitore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:59 am

Shipping is really expensive (but the same for either 1 or 4 titles), so i bought all 4 Dreyer titles for 70 euros shipped to the UK.

Tommaso

#37 Post by Tommaso » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 am

Not wanting to complain too much, but again the intertitles are 'Combined Danish and English'. These have been very hard to read in the past on similar discs due to the small size. Quite apart from the fact that "Die Gezeichneten" originally had German intertitles, and the resto was shown that way on TV (with intertitles recreated, admittedly). Same for "Glomdalsbruden", which has Norwegian intertitles originally.

Jonathan S

#38 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:29 am

This will probably be available eventually from the Edition Filmmuseum website with the existing DFI titles they carry. I know their shipping is similarly expensive but it would give more choice for a multi-item order. Does anyone else sell DFI discs?

perkizitore

#39 Post by perkizitore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 am

They are also more expensive, i can get any Filmmuseum title from Amazon much cheaper both in actual cost and shipping.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am

Tommaso wrote:Not wanting to complain too much, but again the intertitles are 'Combined Danish and English'. These have been very hard to read in the past on similar discs due to the small size.
Unfortunate, though presumably the intertitles will be much easier to read now on Blu-ray.

Jonathan S

#41 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am

perkizitore wrote:They are also more expensive, i can get any Filmmuseum title from Amazon much cheaper both in actual cost and shipping.
Before shipping, some titles - e.g. Crazy Cinematographe - are actually cheaper on Filmmuseum than Amazon.de, unless you mean Marketplace sellers? Amazon might still be cheaper after shipping, depending on titles and quantity, but I'd still have to pay full shipping costs for just one DFI disc ordered direct from them - I already own all their previous silent releases. It's also worth bearing in mind Filmmuseum's exclusive specially priced bundles.

arsonfilms

#42 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am

I've never ordered from DFI so I don't know how the math works out, but would it make financial sense for a bunch of people to go in on a bulk order of the Dreyer blus, and then have one person ship them out? Or is that over-complicating things?

Max von Mayerling

#43 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:51 am

No promises, but I'm actually traveling to Stockholm and Berlin this summer and am hoping to find copies of this in one of those cities. Assuming I can find them, get a VAT refund & then just lug them back with me, I should be able to get them pretty cheap. And I guess I'd be willing to pick up a few to sell them to people on the forum. Again, not going to Denmark, so who knows if I will actually find any, but you can PM me if you're interested & want to wait to see if I manage to get any. I return to the US in July.

Landjorden

#44 Post by Landjorden » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Don't get your hopes up for any filmmuseum (or any other worthwile labels for that matter) titles in Sweden. You might find a few in some obscure shop in Stockholm but it will be expensive.

John-Paul

#45 Post by John-Paul » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:13 pm

I ordered the Dreyer Blu from the DFI, and although the high shipping cost was confirmed at the point of ordering, they had halved it by the time I got my email confirming the despatch. It was being shipped to the UK.

Very fast despatch too!

jsteffe

#46 Post by jsteffe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:32 pm

The item description lists the Blu-ray as "PAL Region All." Can someone confirm the video frame rate when they receive it? I'm trying to determine whether I can order it for our library. Thanks!

Max von Mayerling

#47 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Landjorden - I hear you. And I guess if lucky enough to find any anywhere, it is unlikely that they'll be stocking a pile of them...

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#48 Post by ola t » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 pm

jsteffe wrote:Can someone confirm the video frame rate when they receive it?
1080i at 50 Hz.

Cash Flagg

#49 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 pm

arsonfilms wrote:I've never ordered from DFI so I don't know how the math works out, but would it make financial sense for a bunch of people to go in on a bulk order of the Dreyer blus, and then have one person ship them out? Or is that over-complicating things?
You can certainly put me down for one.

McCrutchy

#50 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote: Before anyone gets too excited. Check the shipping!
John-Paul wrote:I ordered the Dreyer Blu from the DFI, and although the high shipping cost was confirmed at the point of ordering, they had halved it by the time I got my email confirming the despatch. It was being shipped to the UK.

Very fast despatch too!
What's the EU shipping cost? I just ordered this is the USA and the charge on my bank account is US $30.41...not bad at all in my opinion.

Are people mis-reading the site? The shipping is listed in both Danish Kroner (DKK) and approximate Euro. When I bring up the order page, the order is 154,20 DKK or "approx eq. to: € 20,59"

Obviously, this order is sans VAT, but still, unless the DFI is applying a massive surcharge to shipping...
ola t wrote:1080i at 50 Hz.
That's a disappointment. I wonder why they chose not / were not able to deliver a 1080p24 transfer?