Signal One Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Orlac

Re: Signal One Entertainment

#101 Post by Orlac » Thu May 02, 2019 1:11 pm

The thing is, it's a very cluttered marketplace. I want all the Signal One, all the Powerhouse, all the MOC, all the Arrow etc titles...but there is no way I could afford them all.

KJones77

#102 Post by KJones77 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:23 am

Sale currently ongoing on their website. DVDs are 1.99, blu-rays are 5.99, and Firestarter is 7.99.

The following are excluded as they are out of stock:

The Earth Dies Screaming
The Magus
Panic in the Streets
Sherlock Holmes in New York
The Trip
On the Beach

Signal One also mentioned on their Facebook that the following titles are forthcoming:

Gunfighter
Halls of Montezuma
The Inspector
O Henry's Full House
Rio Conchos
Let's Make Love
Moving Violation
Next Stop Greenwich Village
The Paper Chase
Nightmare Alley
The Razors Edge
Fire Sale
Houdini

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#103 Post by tenia » Fri May 10, 2019 10:27 am

I do hope they manage to honour this upcoming line-up, because 5 of the included titles have been postponed for more than a year already.

rapta

#104 Post by rapta » Fri May 10, 2019 6:35 pm

All of those were mentioned elsewhere by James before except for Houdini which is interesting (it's a Paramount title).

From what I've heard, Nightmare Alley and The Gunfighter are the definite priorities for the label. I get the impression he's hoping Fire Sale and Next Stop Greenwich Village will go down well whenever they actually get released, but the rest are very much reliant on those 'bigger' titles selling well (and the catalogue in general). It's a shame to see such a decent label struggling but I very much hope things pick up for him in the next 6-9 months!

PS: I would buy loads in that sale but I actually own basically every S1 title. A shame they didn't include Plan B stuff, as I was interested in The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#105 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:24 pm

I just picked up the Plan B release of Boston Strangler and it didn't have a booklet. Does anyone know if earlier pressings came with one?

nitin

#106 Post by nitin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:03 pm

They don’t do booklets I don’t think.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#107 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Ok thanks, because otherwise it seems like the caliber of a release that would tend to have one.

MichaelB

#108 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:55 am

I’m not sure that any of my Signal One releases have booklets.

sabbath

#109 Post by sabbath » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:29 am

Firestarter from Plan B has a 24-page booklet. But that's the only exception so far, if I remember right. Their upcoming Nightmare Alley will include a 28-page booklet, too.

rapta

#110 Post by rapta » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Deadfall has a booklet too.

M Sanderson

#111 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 am

rapta wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 pm
Unfortunately the market is tough right now, and things such as HMV going into administration definitely put a damper on things. Have been told first-hand that all other titles other than Nightmare Alley and The Gunfighter have been put on indefinite hold for now (including Red Rock West, which I was really looking forward to).

It's a shame as I recently watched The Boston Strangler disc and that has to be one of the best blind-buys I've made in the past 6 months; great film, perfect transfer and encode, excellent extras. What more could you want? I own nearly every S1 and Plan B disc released so far, and none of them have been a disappointment.
I’ve just finished Boston Strangler and I’m very happy with the film and its presentation. How many serial killer movies approach “pure cinema” once the killer has been apprehended? Fleischer and DoP Kline’s experiments with split screen/diopter, associative editing, layering, really depeens what appeared to be an effectively drab film about sad, sick men and failures in the police procedural process.

Was this based on the same transfer as the Carlotta or the Twilight Time, I’m curious? As both used different colour temperatures.

Definitely looking to get Signal One/Plan B’s other Fleischer discs, Mr Majestyk, Compulsion, and Between Heaven & Hell.

nitin

#112 Post by nitin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:36 am

It is the same transfer as the TT, so different to the older master used by Carlotta.

M Sanderson

#113 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:15 am

nitin wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:36 am
It is the same transfer as the TT, so different to the older master used by Carlotta.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I was hoping it would be the same as the TT.

Gerald Christie

#114 Post by Gerald Christie » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:30 pm

So, have there any been any updates concerning their upcoming releases? Is the upcoming Nightmare Alley still happening or can we expect another delay? It's one of my favorite noirs hopefully the December date is final.

DeprongMori

#115 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:49 pm

Gerald Christie wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:30 pm
So, have there any been any updates concerning their upcoming releases? Is the upcoming Nightmare Alley still happening or can we expect another delay? It's one of my favorite noirs hopefully the December date is final.
Nothing on their Facebook page at all since May, so not a good sign.

MichaelB

#116 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:59 pm

I haven’t been asked to deliver the final mix of the commentary yet.

(Although, credit where it’s very much due, it was paid for in full over a year ago.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#117 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Can labels do the equivalent of subletting their licenses? If so, surely Signal One could get ahold of some quick cash by letting go of some of the announced but unreleased Fox titles they’re sitting on and focusing on using those funds to pay for pressing and releasing one or two MIA titles, right? I kind of suspect it’s not that easy, but this was “getting ridiculous” a year ago, now it’s just bad farce

KJones77

#118 Post by KJones77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:04 pm
Can labels do the equivalent of subletting their licenses? If so, surely Signal One could get ahold of some quick cash by letting go of some of the announced but unreleased Fox titles they’re sitting on and focusing on using those funds to pay for pressing and releasing one or two MIA titles, right? I kind of suspect it’s not that easy, but this was “getting ridiculous” a year ago, now it’s just bad farce
They don't have any of them anymore, aside from 3 titles.

Back in August, they shared this post on blu-ray.com:
Hi Guys,

Another update for you and not one some of you will like.

I can confirm that we will now only be releasing the following films in Q1 next year.

Nightmare Alley
The Razors Edge (1946)
Fire sale (1977)

All the other films I announced last year will not be released via signal one and are now back with Fox to license to someone else.

I’ll keep you updated on extras as they are confirmed for these films. Nightmare alley will be packed with extras but the other 2 might just have a commentary only.

Thanks again for all the support

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#119 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Well, at least that frees up the Gunfighter and Halls of Montezuma... though I wish I hadn’t sold my DVDs when they were announced! Thanks for the info

agnamaracs

#120 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:21 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:49 pm
back with Fox to license to someone else.
Or, more likely, you know... not.

rapta

#121 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:58 pm

It seems S1 are back up and running, with the following release dates:

Three Coins in the Fountain - August 17th
Fire Sale - August 31st
Nightmare Alley - September 7th
Halls of Montezuma - September 14th
Let's Make Love - September 14th
The Razor's Edge - September 21st
The Gunfighter - September 28th

Fingers crossed!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#122 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:13 pm

I’ll believe it when I see it

willoneill

#123 Post by willoneill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:18 pm

I pre-ordered Nightmare Alley from Base.com last week ... we'll see what happens. MichaelB, did you ever end up delivering that commentary final mix since your update last Christmas?

Adam X

#124 Post by Adam X » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Their fb page has this recent announcement posted. They’ve not responded to any queries about their back catalogue, but hopefully there’s still stock left.
Hi all, we posted the other week to let you know there were some changes happening and then we left you in the dark! Apologies for that. Signal One is moving under Patriot Films. The brand will remain the same but we have new support and so hopefully access to more extras and titles. We are still trying to get everything migrated over to the new online store and we are experiencing a few teething problems. We ask that you please bear with us over the next couple of weeks whilst we get up and running. We want to make this transition as smooth as possible for you so we will take customer details and order histories over but this can be a bit of a slow process.
If you have placed an order through our store that you have not yet received, then please send a message through Facebook with your order number so we can look into this.
If you have any other queries or comments then please get in touch.

MichaelB

#125 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:56 am

willoneill wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:18 pm
I pre-ordered Nightmare Alley from Base.com last week ... we'll see what happens. MichaelB, did you ever end up delivering that commentary final mix since your update last Christmas?
Not yet, because I can't do anything without the uncompressed film soundtrack, which they have to send to me first.

But I've promised I'll turn it around ASAP whenever they're ready.

(It shouldn't take more than half a day or so: the mix is basically done, but to a rip of the old DVD soundtrack, which may not be a precise frame match for the HD master. So I just need to replace that track with the one that's actually being featured on the BD, replicate the audio level tweaks, and play it through for a final check. Which will be an interesting experience as I haven't heard the commentary in nearly two years and have duly forgotten most of what we said.)