Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
M Sanderson

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#2051 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:13 am

Glad I waited for a UHD upgrade for Dead Zone.

Was wishing Last Man Standing was going to be 4k when I first saw the announcement. Never mind. as the Blu rays currently available are serviceable and clear if scrubbed of detail somewhat. I recall a few shots in the film resembled watercolour paintings but the issue was that I couldn't see where this effect was supposed to end. Assuming Shout's transfer will be the regular Universal remaster doing the rounds (the one I got from Koch Media in Germany).

therewillbeblus

#2052 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:01 am

bad future wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:44 pm
Holy Flame of the Martial World is the only one of these I've seen, but I remember it as the most overwhelmingly maximalist cartoon laser show of a Shaw Bros. production I've yet encountered, Boxer's Omen almost feeling slow and restrained by comparison. (And I enjoyed Holy Flame more, but I also enjoy mountain dew and cotton candy.)
I thought this was a blast too, though it seemed to share more in common with something like Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain in its wild pixie-magic, candy-coated narrative propulsion than Boxer's Omen's more concentrated yet loosely distributed aesthetic explosion. The latter strikes me as more bonkers-weird than bonkers-fun, forsaking narrative investment for unhinged psychedelia. But they're all crazy fun to me.

dwk

#2053 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:57 pm

New Shout store limited editon (1600 copies) is up for ordering
Street Girls

And here are the January titles
Funeral Home
Jennifer 8
Thinner
Telefon
St. Ives
Forces Vengeance

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2054 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:31 pm

dwk

#2055 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:13 pm

Some of Shout/Scream's February titles found by MifuneFan at the Blu-ray.com forum:
Darkman UHD
The Terminal Man
Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny

Finch

#2056 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:40 pm

Darkman is huge news!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2057 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:08 pm

And now Vol. 1 is $85.99

DRW.mov

#2058 Post by DRW.mov » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:25 pm

Anyone know whats going on with Shout’s 4K of CLUE? It streets in a few weeks and they still haven’t detailed extras.

beamish14

#2059 Post by beamish14 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:11 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:25 pm
Anyone know whats going on with Shout’s 4K of CLUE? It streets in a few weeks and they still haven’t detailed extras.
They’ve been weird lately. Jennifer 8 was announced a while ago and still has zero features listed as well

Gerald Christie

#2060 Post by Gerald Christie » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Here you go:
Disc One (4K UHD)
NEW Remastered from a 2023 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
Three Different Surprise Endings

Disc Two (Blu-Ray)
NEW “The Perfect Motive: Directing Clue” — interview with writer/director Jonathan Lynn
NEW “The Scene of the Crime: Producing Clue” — interview with associate producer Jeffrey Chernov
NEW “Not Just a Game: Scoring Clue” — Interview with film music historian Daniel Schweiger about John Morris’s score
Original Trailer

beamish14

#2061 Post by beamish14 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:12 am

Gerald Christie wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 am
DRW.mov wrote:
Here you go:
Disc One (4K UHD)

Disc Two (Blu-Ray)
NEW “The Perfect Motive: Directing Clue” — interview with writer/director Jonathan Lynn
NEW “The Scene of the Crime: Producing Clue” — interview with associate producer Jeffrey Chernov
NEW “Not Just a Game: Scoring Clue” — Interview with film music historian Daniel Schweiger about John Morris’s score
Original Trailer

No John Landis. The filmmaker who made the recent documentary on it couldn’t land him, either

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2062 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:45 am

Gerald Christie wrote:
DRW.mov wrote:
Here you go:
Disc One (4K UHD)

Disc Two (Blu-Ray)
Original Trailer
So does this mean the three theatrical versions of the film will be available (probably via seamless branching)?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2063 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:07 pm

The DVD was able to pull it off through branching (3 endings plus the home video ending), but I would have to double check because I think if you wanted a theatrical ending, it would randomly assign one and you couldn't select one outright. Otherwise, you got the video ending by default. I believe the Blu-ray did the same (I have the DVD but not the Blu).

It would be absurd to not at least do that here. They're more-or-less copying the wording from the DVD at least.

captveg

#2064 Post by captveg » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:08 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:07 pm
The DVD was able to pull it off through branching (3 endings plus the home video ending), but I would have to double check because I think if you wanted a theatrical ending, it would randomly assign one and you couldn't select one outright. Otherwise, you got the video ending by default. I believe the Blu-ray did the same (I have the DVD but not the Blu).
That's correct. One could also watch each ending as a special feature selection.

Ribs

#2065 Post by Ribs » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:12 am
Gerald Christie wrote:
DRW.mov wrote:
Here you go:
Disc One (4K UHD)

Disc Two (Blu-Ray)
Original Trailer

No John Landis. The filmmaker who made the recent documentary on it couldn’t land him, either
In this case, the writer’s strike probably overlapped with the production timeline, preventing him from participating in anything about his past work as a writer (there was an exception made for writer-directors, hence why Lynn could still be interviewed).

DRW.mov

#2066 Post by DRW.mov » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:16 am

Ribs wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Gerald Christie wrote:

Here you go:
Disc One (4K UHD)

Disc Two (Blu-Ray)
Original Trailer

In this case, the writer’s strike probably overlapped with the production timeline, preventing him from participating in anything about his past work as a writer (there was an exception made for writer-directors, hence why Lynn could still be interviewed).
The same exception would apply to Landis since he is a member of the WGA, DGA, and PGA, and also served as a producer on this film. Its more likely that he either denied to speak about it or Shout chose not to reach out to him. The strike does explain the lack of material with the abundant on screen cast of this film. Guess this means we should hold on to the ETR blu of the doc.

MichaelB

#2067 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:28 am

cdnchris wrote:The DVD was able to pull it off through branching (3 endings plus the home video ending), but I would have to double check because I think if you wanted a theatrical ending, it would randomly assign one and you couldn't select one outright. Otherwise, you got the video ending by default. I believe the Blu-ray did the same (I have the DVD but not the Blu).

It would be absurd to not at least do that here. They're more-or-less copying the wording from the DVD at least.
“Surprise” strongly suggests a random selection element.

Ribs

#2068 Post by Ribs » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:44 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:16 am
Ribs wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 pm
beamish14 wrote:

The same exception would apply to Landis since he is a member of the WGA, DGA, and PGA, and also served as a producer on this film. Its more likely that he either denied to speak about it or Shout chose not to reach out to him. The strike does explain the lack of material with the abundant on screen cast of this film. Guess this means we should hold on to the ETR blu of the doc.
No, the exception was very specifically only for writer-directors. Any other credit combination meant they could not participate in anything produced under past guild work.

dwk

#2069 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:25 pm

Another February title has been found: Willy's Wonderland

dwk

#2070 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:39 pm

Two new site exclusive limited editions (1620 copies each)
Samurai Resurrection (2003)

Deadly Outlaw Rekka(2002)

dwk

#2071 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:03 pm

Some Shout/Scream titles that are going OOP:
The Alligator People
Beetlejuice The Complete Collection (DVD)
Big Trouble in Little China (Collector's Edition)
Blood From The Mummy's Tomb
Chose, The
Circus of Horrors
Demons of the Mind
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry / Race With The Devil
Dr. Jekyll And Sister Hyde
Entity, The (Collector's Edition)
Fatso
Fear in the Night
Fear No Evil
Final Programme, The
Fly Collection, The
Fright
Horror of Frankenstein
Lust For a Vampire
Manitou, The
Rental, The
Road Games (Collector's Edition)
Omen Collection, The
Scars of Dracula
Seduction, The
Straight On Till Morning
Superstition
To The Devil...A Daughter
Vice Squad (Collector's Edition)
Warning Sign

M Sanderson

#2072 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:23 am

anyone know if Last Man Standing, coming from a fresh 2k scan, albeit of the Interpositive, is enough of an upgrade to warrant buying?

I remember the slightly watery and digitally scrubbed off the shelf blu ray, from an aged remaster.

sabbath

#2073 Post by sabbath » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:27 am

M Sanderson wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:23 am
anyone know if Last Man Standing, coming from a fresh 2k scan, albeit of the Interpositive, is enough of an upgrade to warrant buying?

I remember the slightly watery and digitally scrubbed off the shelf blu ray, from an aged remaster.
Comparing the 4th screenshot on caps-a-holic.com and the 1st on Blu-ray.com, it certainly looks improved. Whether it's enough to upgrade depends on how much you like the film, of course.

EddieLarkin

#2074 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:32 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:03 pm
Some Shout/Scream titles that are going OOP:
The Alligator People
Beetlejuice The Complete Collection (DVD)
Big Trouble in Little China (Collector's Edition)
Blood From The Mummy's Tomb
Chose, The
Circus of Horrors
Demons of the Mind
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry / Race With The Devil
Dr. Jekyll And Sister Hyde
Entity, The (Collector's Edition)
Fatso
Fear in the Night
Fear No Evil
Final Programme, The
Fly Collection, The
Fright
Horror of Frankenstein
Lust For a Vampire
Manitou, The
Rental, The
Road Games (Collector's Edition)
Omen Collection, The
Scars of Dracula
Seduction, The
Straight On Till Morning
Superstition
To The Devil...A Daughter
Vice Squad (Collector's Edition)
Warning Sign
A lot of Fox licences, so presumably the last chance on them for a long long time, possibly ever. I'd hoped to see the new remaster of The Omen see an individual release, but obviously that's not happening.

M Sanderson

#2075 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:20 pm

sabbath wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:27 am
M Sanderson wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:23 am

Comparing the 4th screenshot on caps-a-holic.com and the 1st on Blu-ray.com, it certainly looks improved. Whether it's enough to upgrade depends on how much you like the film, of course.
thanks for the information. I like the film a great deal. the old remaster is acceptable but appears to have been cleaned up too much. if the Shout is more detailed and natural, I'll be happy to pay for the upgrade.