New Wave Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
FrauBlucher

Re: New Wave Films (UK)

#376 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:52 am

I had seen Caesar Must Die when it screened in NY. A wonderful film. Kino put this out on DVD only. Typical.

TMDaines

#377 Post by TMDaines » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 am

It's only on DVD in the UK too.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#378 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 am

Wasn't it shot 25 fps?

newwavefilms

#379 Post by newwavefilms » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 pm

On our Caesar must Die DVD the subtitles are, as always, optional. We thought about Blu-ray, but there was a lack of proper material and we could never get a definitive answer on the original frame rate - endless contradictory replies..

McCrutchy

#380 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 am

I know the NWF release is not until March 2015, but I thought I would ask this now:

I see, according to Fnac, that the French BD of Winter Sleep is going to include a bonus DVD with one of Ceylan's massive Making of features, this time running 140 minutes.

Is there any way New Wave will also have this documentary on either a separate DVD or (God willing) a second BD-50 disc (assuming it was shot in HD)?

newwavefilms

#381 Post by newwavefilms » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Waiting to actually see this enormous making of, but in principle it's our intention to use it, and then we'll have to see if it means going to 2 discs on Blu as well as DVD.

rapta

#382 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 am

McCrutchy wrote:I know the NWF release is not until March 2015, but I thought I would ask this now:

I see, according to Fnac, that the French BD of Winter Sleep is going to include a bonus DVD with one of Ceylan's massive Making of features, this time running 140 minutes.

Is there any way New Wave will also have this documentary on either a separate DVD or (God willing) a second BD-50 disc (assuming it was shot in HD)?
I very much doubt it. New Wave Films tend to do very slimmed-down releases of their acquisitions - blu-ray if absolutely necessary it seems, but never a two-disc job (as far as I'm aware). It's barely getting a look-in at most independent cinema chains, so I doubt it'll do that well at the box office and therefore they wouldn't go that extra mile with the blu-ray I'm afraid.

Basically, I'd be very surprised if they did.

med

#383 Post by med » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 am

rapta, the post above yours seems to negate what you have written.

MichaelB

#384 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51 am

Pshaw - who cares what the actual decision-makers think when people can speculate wildly?

rapta

#385 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:34 pm

med wrote:rapta, the post above yours seems to negate what you have written.
Did not see that post when I made mine! Maybe it was waiting to be authorised by a mod, or a simply forgot to reload the page. Weird!

Apologies obviously! Glad it's getting the full treatment :D

McCrutchy

#386 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:47 pm

That's good to hear that NWF is aware of and waiting to see the documentary. I can't imagine it won't be worth adding to the release in some form, again, hopefully, as a BD.

newwavefilms

#387 Post by newwavefilms » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Our post may have been waiting for the moderator to approve. Not quite sure why we still have to get approval for our posts after all this time..
Back on topic, the French BD of Winter Sleep is 2 discs, so assume ours will be 2 as well.

AidanKing

#388 Post by AidanKing » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:35 am

New Wave apparently have plans to release a DVD set of Tsai Ming-liang's Journey to the West and Stray Dogs: details here.

Jonathan Romney's report from Berlin makes Journey to the West sound extraordinary but I imagine hardly anyone will get the chance to see it on an IMAX-sized screen.

zedz

#389 Post by zedz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:48 pm

AidanKing wrote:New Wave apparently have plans to release a DVD set of Tsai Ming-liang's Journey to the West and Stray Dogs: details here.
Both of these films are in HD (I'm assuming! Haven't received my copy yet) on the Cinema Guild BluRay.

rapta

#390 Post by rapta » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 am

AidanKing wrote:New Wave apparently have plans to release a DVD set of Tsai Ming-liang's Journey to the West and Stray Dogs: details here.

Jonathan Romney's report from Berlin makes Journey to the West sound extraordinary but I imagine hardly anyone will get the chance to see it on an IMAX-sized screen.
That's odd, I would've assumed New Wave Films would have released these on blu-ray too...or at least Stray Dogs. I wonder why they're not - I've bought almost all their blu-ray titles to date and they're brilliant!

AidanKing

#391 Post by AidanKing » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 am

A bit late this but New Wave seem to have picked up a good slate of films from Cannes this year.

The London Film Festival programme seems to suggest that Arabian Nights is being released in conjunction with MUBI. I hope that doesn't mean it'll only be available for streaming rather than having a DVD/Blu Ray release.

newwavefilms

#392 Post by newwavefilms » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Just to reassure that Arabian Nights will have a normal release in cinemas and on video. Streaming may come earlier than usual, but the exact timing is tbc.

rapta

#393 Post by rapta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Oh excellent! I was wondering who had the new Weerasethakul and Jia films. I genuinely hope you deliver both on Blu-ray...they definitely are two of the best directors working today and their films look amazing in HD - Uncle Boonmee being one of the very first Blu-rays I ever bought, and The World soon after that.

As for Arabian Nights, I would also love to see them released on Blu-ray if at all possible. They'd definitely be ones to keep as it would take a while to get through them all and being Gomes films, certainly ones to revisit.

AidanKing

#394 Post by AidanKing » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:38 am

It actually gets even better because they've got the rights to Walter Salles' documentary on Jia. A possible double pack DVD/BluRay with Mountains May Depart?

Aunt Peg

#395 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 am

rapta wrote:Oh excellent! I was wondering who had the new Weerasethakul and Jia films. I genuinely hope you deliver both on Blu-ray...they definitely are two of the best directors working today and their films look amazing in HD - Uncle Boonmee being one of the very first Blu-rays I ever bought, and The World soon after that.

As for Arabian Nights, I would also love to see them released on Blu-ray if at all possible. They'd definitely be ones to keep as it would take a while to get through them all and being Gomes films, certainly ones to revisit.
I second rapta's comments and having seen all of these films would definitely love to add them to my Blu Ray collection.

rapta

#396 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:03 pm

AidanKing wrote:It actually gets even better because they've got the rights to Walter Salles' documentary on Jia. A possible double pack DVD/BluRay with Mountains May Depart?
They also got the Winter Sleep documentary and managed to squeeze it onto the Blu-ray disc apparently (though it might be in SD rather than the originally-planned HD). Be cool if they could do that again...assuming they release Mountains May Depart on Blu-ray! A Walter Salles film on the same disc would make it even more of a must-buy.

Cemetery of Splendour would be equally appreciated specifically for Blu-ray. Would be the second Weerasethakul title to hit Blu-ray (worldwide too, as far as I'm aware).

newwavefilms

#397 Post by newwavefilms » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:05 am

AidanKing wrote:It actually gets even better because they've got the rights to Walter Salles' documentary on Jia. A possible double pack DVD/BluRay with Mountains May Depart?
That's the general idea. At this stage can't guarantee blu double pack as well as a DVD one, but we hope to do it.

AidanKing

#398 Post by AidanKing » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:46 am

This article in The Guardian indicates that Cemetery of Splendour is being released in UK cinemas on 17 June. I wonder whether there's a possibility that Mekong Hotel will be included in the eventual DVD/BluRay release?

Arabian Nights is also being released in three parts on 29 April and the following two Fridays. Presumably, the eventual DVD/BluRay release is likely to bundle the three films into one set.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#399 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Strand is including Mekong Hotel with the U.S. Blu, so hopefully New Wave will do the same.

Aunt Peg

#400 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:43 am

Looks like Miguel Gomes Arabian Knights trilogy is only getting a DVD release in the UK.

There is a DVD listing on Amazon but no Blu Ray.

Region A purchase for me in that case. I'm very disappointed.