408 Breathless

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
georgec

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#201 Post by georgec » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:54 pm

ianungstad wrote:According to MMM; Criterion has discontinued Breathless on both dvd and blu.
I'm really glad I picked this up during the BN 50% off sale.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: 408 Breathless

#202 Post by Brian C » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 pm

A day later and still no news from Criterion about this, and it's still available on the official website. The last few OOPs have been preceded by an actual announcement from Criterion to give us a heads-up.

So I'm guessing packaging changes of some kind or something along those lines. Probably not worth a panic buy at a high price unless the digipack means a lot to you.

Yaanu

#203 Post by Yaanu » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Brian C wrote:A day later and still no news from Criterion about this, and it's still available on the official website. The last few OOPs have been preceded by an actual announcement from Criterion to give us a heads-up.

So I'm guessing packaging changes of some kind or something along those lines. Probably not worth a panic buy at a high price unless the digipack means a lot to you.
Well, the original digipak. If the upcoming Tokyo Story release means anything, three-disc releases will be in digipaks, while two-disc releases will be in plastic cases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#204 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Despite the hideous cover, this digipak is one of the best design jobs Criterion ever did, so I'd say it's one of the few worth going packaging fetishist over

rrenault

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#205 Post by rrenault » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:29 am

So is the Criterion release of Breathless out of print or are they just between pressings?

HitchcockLang

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#206 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 am

rrenault wrote:So is the Criterion release of Breathless out of print or are they just between pressings?
I'd like to know the answer to this too. I went ahead and rushed to my nearest Barnes & Noble and grabbed their last in stock copy of the BD (at full retail but at least not a jacked up collector's price) even though the one time I saw this film, I didn't really get it.

vsski

#207 Post by vsski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 am

What am I missing? Both versions, DVD and BD, show readily available on the CC website with their usual 25% discount, so why buy anything at full price at B&N?

ianungstad

#208 Post by ianungstad » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm

The existing releases of Breathless and 400 BLows are out of print. If you check Amazon; they are now only available via third party sellers.

I think Criterion only lists a title as out of print when they lose the rights. I imagine both of these titles are going to be reissued in some form.

HitchcockLang

#209 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I emailed Jon Mulvaney and asked if Breathless and 400 Blows were out of print for good or if a Dual Format release may be in the works. Here is his somewhat non-specific reply:

Thanks for your email!

Generally when a Criterion title has gone out of print (OOP) it is because we lost the rights, and despite our efforts to renew, we were unable (It's definitely not for lack of interest!) If we should ever recover the rights to any of our out-of-print titles, we will happily rerelease them. However, to the
best of my knowledge, at this time we have no plans to rerelease any of our out-of-print titles.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have any more questions!

rrenault

#210 Post by rrenault » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't know why, but for some reason, despite Mulvaney's non-specific e-mail, I'm still not convinced.

Arrow

#211 Post by Arrow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:I emailed Jon Mulvaney and asked if Breathless and 400 Blows were out of print for good or if a Dual Format release may be in the works. Here is his somewhat non-specific reply:

Thanks for your email!

Generally when a Criterion title has gone out of print (OOP) it is because we lost the rights, and despite our efforts to renew, we were unable (It's definitely not for lack of interest!) If we should ever recover the rights to any of our out-of-print titles, we will happily rerelease them. However, to the
best of my knowledge, at this time we have no plans to rerelease any of our out-of-print titles.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have any more questions!
That seems like an auto generated response to any email with the phrase "out of print. "

vsski

#212 Post by vsski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorry for not making myself clear in my earlier post. If you go to the CC website and order the Breathless BD by putting it into your cart it tells you that the item is in stock and ships immediately with the reduced price of $31.96. So while external websites may show it as out of print or out of stock, it can readily be ordered from the CC site (which I realize doesn't help those outside of the US or Canada).

HitchcockLang

#213 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:29 pm

vsski wrote:Sorry for not making myself clear in my earlier post. If you go to the CC website and order the Breathless BD by putting it into your cart it tells you that the item is in stock and ships immediately with the reduced price of $31.96. So while external websites may show it as out of print or out of stock, it can readily be ordered from the CC site (which I realize doesn't help those outside of the US or Canada).
The CC site has a tendency to sell OOP titles until their stock is depleted. If you look at The 400 Blows in the CC site, it says "Backordered."

giovannii84

#214 Post by giovannii84 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:21 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:I emailed Jon Mulvaney and asked if Breathless and 400 Blows were out of print for good or if a Dual Format release may be in the works. Here is his somewhat non-specific reply:

Thanks for your email!

No plans to rerelease OoP titles, yet Criterion have confirmed on this forum they will reissuing OoP Jacques Tati titles

Moe Dickstein

#215 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Mulvaney is sometimes kept out of the loop. He has a really big mouth.

jpx7

#216 Post by jpx7 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:35 pm

So, now Criterion's listing for the film (after showing the blu-ray's status as "Backorder" earlier today) specifies this: Unfortunately, we are not able to offer this product for sale on Criterion.com. Please note that it is not out of print and is available at other retailers, like Amazon.com.

Anyone have any idea what the deal is?

bdsweeney

#217 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:45 pm

jpx7 wrote:So, now Criterion's listing for the film (after showing the blu-ray's status as "Backorder" earlier today) specifies this: Unfortunately, we are not able to offer this product for sale on Criterion.com. Please note that it is not out of print and is available at other retailers, like Amazon.com.

Anyone have any idea what the deal is?
I've found it very difficult to purchase at other retailers.

I placed an order with B&N, which they accepted but then cancelled several days later.

I then placed an order with Amazon (not a third party seller), which they accepted but then cancelled.

I then went through a seller on ebay, which they accepted and then cancelled.

I then went through another seller on ebay, which they accepted and then cancelled.

Every time, they stated the item was out of stock.

I finally bit the bullet and bought for $45 through an Amazon third-party seller ... which has shipped.

knives

#218 Post by knives » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 pm

I suspect that they may have to redo the packaging because Image no longer is going to be listed.

Moe Dickstein

#219 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 pm

I just looked at my Blu copy, and I'm missing where Image is listed...

knives

#220 Post by knives » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:38 pm

My copy is in storage, but as distributor there's usually something written on a crit mentioning them.

Moe Dickstein

#221 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:39 pm

yeah, some of them have Image on the back, but I'm thinking that's when they've got the title from them. It doesn't seem that Image had anything to do with this beyond distribution - and so wouldn't that affect every in print title if they were going to get all mentions of Image out?

Matt

#222 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:03 am

Once again, knives has invented a fact: The cover doesn't say anything about Image. I'm sure it's just being repackaged from digipak to plastic case, possibly as a dual-format release.

knives

#223 Post by knives » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 am

Matt wrote:Once again, knives has invented a fact: The cover doesn't say anything about Image. I'm sure it's just being repackaged from digipak to plastic case, possibly as a dual-format release.
I guarded myself this time with a usually. Though you did reiterate my point which was primarily that they were probably just redoing the packaging.

manicsounds

#224 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:09 am

OR this is another Studio Canal doing....

knives

#225 Post by knives » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 am

SC in no way have the rights to Breathless in the states. There's no worry of that presently.