967 I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 967 I Wanna Hold Your Hand

#26 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm

I had a look at the screenshots, and it seems to me the issue is there but Svet might be just a tad harsh with its overall score, since many screenshots seems unaffected.

I doubt Criterion would alter what they're given since it doesn't seem to be their historical policy, so either the DCP and the source for this BD aren't exactly the same and some filtering has been applied to what was given to Criterion, or the restoration itself is concerned but it's easier to spot on BD than on DCP.

It's interesting to note however that the technical blurb from the Criterion disc doesn't explicitely state where the restoration itself was performed. The scan was done at Roundabout Burbank, the grading at Criterion, but the restoration bit is missing.

nitin

#27 Post by nitin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 am

Also I don’t believe Used Cars is a new Sony 2k/4k scan, but just a good quality older HD remaster. Svet scored the german disc of Used Cars a 3.5 too.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#28 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 am

That's my guess too.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#29 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:25 am

Chris, I just read your review and you don't mention the possible degraining mentioned by Svet in his review. What's your view on this specific point ?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#30 Post by cdnchris » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:29 pm

That's interesting though nothing stood out to me. Maybe I missed it if it was a particular scene or scenes? I remember The Breakfast Club (sticking to Universal) showed signs of it but I didn't notice the same effect here. I'll have to go back and look again.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#31 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pm

It seems it's not a blanket filter and that some scenes might be either concerned or more prone to show signs of tinkering. I don't have the disc myself (yet) so can't give more details, but some of the blu-ray.com caps do show a flatter "degrained" look, so it did seem to me there might be a few scenes off, hence my question.

dustybooks

#32 Post by dustybooks » Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 am

When I was very green to the Criterion world back around 2002 and emailed Mulvaney to ask whether they would try to release some random titles (which I think they used to encourage?), this and Watership Down were the two I asked about. Eighteen year-old me is now vindicated.

What did everyone think of the two Zemeckis short films? I thought they were clever and interesting while very much being student film work -- The Lift really seems like something that would have popped up on Night Flight -- but I did laugh at a lot of the over-the-top closing moments of A Field of Honor.

As for the rest of the extras, I was a little less engrossed than I expected in the Spielberg-Zemeckis-Gale conversation, which kept devolving into them gushing over and thanking one another, something I get tired of very quickly. (Gale's story about how annoying the person Deezen's character is based on was is great though.) I remember the commentary as being quite informative -- I didn't revisit it yet, as I heard it years ago on the DVD -- and hoped that Spielberg would add some interesting perspective, but it seems to me he never really gets out of "politician mode." Meanwhile, Nancy Allen seemed a tad miffed when Marc McClure implied that Theresa Saldana was more professional than everyone else on the set...

It's rather sad that two of the liveliest actors in the film are gone already.

knives

#33 Post by knives » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm not generally a Zemeckis fan, but this was an absolutely fun time. It has all of his usual ticks, but I feel they were better executed here. The use of pop culture is the prime example as this film uses it more as a conduit for other aspects of childhood and growth rather than as anything meaningful to the symbol of that touchstone. The movie is also just hilarious.

movielocke

#34 Post by movielocke » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:36 pm

It felt like an episode of “that seventies show” in a good way, by way of the looney tunes of course.

It’s funny how it’s from such a different era. Throughout the film was expecting the typical lazy “modern” theme of disillusionment and failure for the ending (and we laugh in mean derision at them for being so naive too). The actual ending came as a surprise and made me reevaluate the film more favorably in retrospect.

knives

#35 Post by knives » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:40 pm

I am real glad that, spoilers, everyone got a type of happy ending that reaffirmed what can make them contented people. I do think that is part of what sets it apart.

movielocke

#36 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:24 am

It’s also what gives it such a strong sitcom vibe, everything resets to zero at the end, ready for the next episode.

zedz

#37 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Well, this was one of the lamest films I've seen in a long while: one dimensional characters doing frantic busy work while the audience is buoyed on waves of flaccid nostalgia. Everything seemed to me completely by the numbers, with no original comic spark anywhere. I think movielocke's observation about the sitcom vibe is correct, but this is like an endless episode of Happy Days with a bargain basement Fonz and way too many Joanies.