700 Fantastic Mr. Fox

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
ehimle

Re: The Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson, 2009)

#76 Post by ehimle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 pm

haven't most of his adaptations been by and with Americans
I think so. I believe that Matilda and James and the Giant Peach were along with the newer Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
I'm not 100% on those, though pretty sure.
and the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory probably was too.

the only one i think seems british (probably cause i saw it when i lived there) was Witches.

flyonthewall2983

#77 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:35 am

Saw a bit of the HBO "behind the scenes" program tonight. Some of the footage of George and Bill recording their lines looked hilarious in and of itself.

rs98762001

#78 Post by rs98762001 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:49 am

knives wrote: As for the movie, the English reviews (in general) seem to really hate that this was made by Americans. I'll admit to being ignorant of the Dahl cannon, but haven't most of his adaptations been by and with Americans with far less vitriol?
Actually, if you look at the critics aggregate on Rotten Tomatoes, all the reviews, including the English ones, were very positive. There are one or two grumbling dissenters, but that's to be expected when you change the good guys to Yanks and keep the bad guys Brits. Anyway, the spirit of Anderson's film is extremely British. It feels more Aardman than Disney.

knives

#79 Post by knives » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 am

I'll agree that the criticism is from the minority, but my point was that it is odd for it to come up for this film while the other even more so Americanized adaptations to my knowledge didn't get this many finger wags.
ehimle wrote:the only one i think seems british (probably cause i saw it when i lived there) was Witches.
There was an animated version of The BFG that was from Britain.

godardslave

#80 Post by godardslave » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:05 am

knives wrote:
godardslave wrote:Criterion needs animated films in the collection also. :shock:
I believe that's a tad more accurate.
Thanks, you are 100% correct, of course.
Animated films need to be in the Criterion Collection.
And I am going to quote it again until someone at Criterion gets it through their head. :shock:
Or should that be through their marketing department? ](*,)

Cde.

#81 Post by Cde. » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 am

In the 90s Criterion released a laserdisc of Akira, so there's a precedent for animation in the collection.

colinr0380

#82 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 am

Along with the BFG there was also that television adaptation of Danny, the Champion of the World the same year with Jeremy Irons, his son Samuel as Danny, Cyril Cusack, Robbie Coltrane, Michael Hordern and Lionel Jeffries.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#83 Post by Tribe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:27 pm

A. O. Scott likes it:
November 13, 2009
Don’t Count Your Chickens
By A. O. SCOTT
Published: November 13, 2009

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” is a proudly analog animated entertainment, making its handmade way into a marketplace glutted with digital goodies. Next to the three-dimensional, computer-generated creatures that swoop and soar off the screen these days, the furry talking animals on display here, with their matted pelts, jerky movements and porcelain eyes, might look a little quaint, like old-fashioned wind-up toys uneasily sharing the shelf with the latest video game platforms.

At times this adaptation of Roald Dahl’s slender anti-fable — truer to the spirit than to the letter of the source — does not even look like a movie. In spite of the pedigreed voices (Meryl Streep and Bill Murray, along with George Clooney in the title role), it feels more like an extended episode of what progressive educators call imaginative play. The sets might just as well have been built out of available household stuff, the stiff figurines animated and ventriloquized on a classroom or bedroom floor by precocious children.

All of which may only be another way of saying that this is a Wes Anderson film. The spirit of self-conscious juvenile playacting has informed his work from the start, providing a theme for “Rushmore” and a sensibility for everything else.

His live-action subjects often move like stop-motion figures through landscapes that resemble drawings and models more than real places. (Think of the cutaway ship set in “The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.”) There is a deadpan, understated quality to his performers that also suggests puppetry, and he shows a stubborn reluctance to let story take precedence over style.

So “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” which Mr. Anderson wrote with Noah Baumbach, and which he has been hoping to make for many years, is in some ways his most fully realized and satisfying film. Once you adjust to its stop-and-start rhythms and its scruffy looks, you can appreciate its wit, its beauty and the sly gravity of its emotional undercurrents. The work done by the animation director, Mark Gustafson, by the director of photography, Tristan Oliver, and by the production designer, Nelson Lowry, shows amazing ingenuity and skill, and the music (by Alexandre Desplat, with the usual shuffle of well-chosen pop tunes, famous and obscure) is both eccentric and just right.

Is it is a movie for children? This inevitable question depends on the assumption that children have uniform tastes and expectations. How can that be? And besides, the point of everything Mr. Anderson has ever done is that truth and beauty reside in the odd, the mismatched, the idiosyncratic. He makes that point in ways that are sometimes touching, sometimes annoying, but usually worth arguing about. Not everyone will like “Fantastic Mr. Fox”; and if everyone did it, would not be nearly as interesting as it is. There are some children — some people — who will embrace it with a special, strange intensity, as if it had been made for them alone.

Roald Dahl’s books, suspicious of authority and repelled by conformity, full of unruly energy and wanton invention, have a similar appeal, though Dahl’s imagination was more aggressive than Mr. Anderson’s. The director has made the material his own by winding some of his characteristic preoccupations around the spare, spiky architecture of the book, turning Dahl’s tale of woodland derring-do into another melancholy, comical study of the dynamics of a loving, difficult family.

The patriarch, old Foxy himself, is a charmer and a scapegrace, perhaps not as floridly untrustworthy as Royal Tenenbaum, but not exactly a paragon of responsibility either. After a few near misses — and with a newly pregnant missus (Ms. Streep) — Mr. Fox retired from the hazardous business of poultry killing and went into newspaper journalism. In enchanted talking-animal fairyland, that is apparently a thriving profession, and those of us in journalism who soon may be stealing chickens out of desperation may envy Mr. Fox the luxury of doing it for love.

A sense of thwarted ambition — perhaps something of a vulpine midlife crisis — sends him back into the fortified feedlots and coops of Boggis, Bunce and Bean, the three farmers immortalized in schoolyard rhymes as “horrible crooks, so different in looks” who are “nonetheless equally mean.” The voice of Bean, their nasty, cider-drinking ringleader, is supplied by Michael Gambon, and their escalating response to Mr. Fox’s raid supplies the movie with its basic narrative engine. Will they succeed in catching Mr. Fox and his friends? Or will he brilliantly escape their diabolical designs?

The answers to these questions are not really in doubt, and perhaps for that reason Mr. Anderson and Mr. Baumbach often seem to lose interest in them. Instead they delve into the social and familial relationships that define Mr. Fox’s world, with particular attention to the rivalry between the Foxes’ only son, Ash (Jason Schwartzman), and a visiting cousin named Kristofferson (Eric Anderson).

Kristofferson is a golden child, handsome and athletic, with the special sadness that in Mr. Anderson’s universe, is the burden of the gifted. Ash, meanwhile, is both jealous of his cousin and unsure of his father’s love.

And the father manages, in his charming way, to endanger the lives of everyone dear to him — not only his family, but also friends, like Badger (Mr. Murray) and Kylie (Wally Wolodarsky), a mole who becomes Fox’s accomplice. Fox’s recklessness is part of his magnetic appeal, of course, but it also strains his marriage and shadows him with an ethical ambiguity unusual in a children’s movie.

Which maybe this isn’t after all. (There is one scene, in which a character dies a violent death, that may be too chilling for some younger viewers to handle.) But at the same time it is precisely the movie that a child smitten with Roald Dahl’s fiction and fascinated by the enigmas of the adult world would dream of making: something to amaze and terrify the grown-ups and win the envy and adulation of his peers.

Jeff

#84 Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:01 pm

It looks like it might end up as one of Anderson's best-reviewed films. Besides the NYT piece quoted above, it has received raves from what I consider some of the most reliable scribes: Kent Jones in the new Film Comment, David Edelstein in New York, and Scott Foundas in The Village Voice. At the other end of the critical spectrum, even the Andersonphobic Owen Gleiberman loves it.

Zumpano

#85 Post by Zumpano » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:57 am

I've heard that the Mcdonald's toys are only available in the UK. Any truth to this? US kids are not sophisticated enough to play with foxes in corduroy suits; instead we get Astro Boys with guns out their butts? Sad...

Oh yeah, these are for my, err, kids...

Jeff

#86 Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Glenn Kenny: "Fox is not just an exemplary Anderson picture, but in a way provides a key to an enhanced appreciation of his prior works."

godardslave

#87 Post by godardslave » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:39 pm

Jeff wrote:Glenn Kenny: "Fox is not just an exemplary Anderson picture, but in a way provides a key to an enhanced appreciation of his prior works."
That is, ergo, for people who were not smart enough to get them first time around. :wink:

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#88 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:34 pm

A nice little write-up from Wes on the evolution of a scene from the film. *waits for either a snippy comment about his stationery, or scolding from Domino over addressing Mr. Anderson by his first name* :-"

MoonlitKnight

#89 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Mr. Anderson brings his trademark dry, ironic humor to the kiddies...and knocks it out of the park.

HarryLong

Re: Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson, 2009)

#90 Post by HarryLong » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:45 am

That is, ergo, for people who were not smart enough to get them first time around.
Thank you, godardslave.

so lightly here

#91 Post by so lightly here » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:33 pm

godardslave wrote:
Jeff wrote:Glenn Kenny: "Fox is not just an exemplary Anderson picture, but in a way provides a key to an enhanced appreciation of his prior works."
That is, ergo, for people who were not smart enough to get them first time around. :wink:
I thought both the story and Anderson's usually filled to brim sets for his past films would have made animation a vitual playground of ideas. Slightly disappoint at the slenderness of this one, but if it brings people into see the previous they won't be disappointed and his dry wit will be more comforting to the teeming masses.

Finch

#92 Post by Finch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Specs for the Blu Ray and DVD due 23 March (SD again gets fewer extras and why insisting on these pointless digital copies? I hope Fox will also offer the Blu on its own)

DVD

* 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD5.1 Surround
* French and Spanish Dolby Surround
* English, French and Spanish subtitles
* From Script to Screen
* Still Life (Puppet Animation)
* A Beginner’s Guide to Whack-Bat

Blu-ray

* Disc 1: Blu-ray Main Feature
o 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
o English 5.1 DTS-HD MA
o French and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
o English, French and Spanish subtitles
o Making Mr. Fox Fantastic
+ The Look Of Fantastic Mr. Fox
+ From Script To Screen
+ The Puppet Makers
+ Still Life (Puppet Animation)
+ The Cast
+ Bill And His Badger
o A Beginner’s Guide To Whack-Bat
o Fantastic Mr. Fox: The World Of Roald Dahl
* Disc 2: DVD – Same content as standard DVD release
* Disc 3: Digital Copy

Lemmy Caution

#93 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 am

Well, this certainly harks back to all of the scheming and verbal quibbling of Bottle Rocket and Tenenbaums.
But it felt to me like kind of an animated re-tread of that earlier stuff.
Not bad, but not that engaging either.
If not for the voice talent, I'm not sure how well this would hold up.
I'd be interested in how kids respond to this.
I am sending a copy to my early teen nieces to see how they'll react (but I never got any feedback from them on Bottle Rocket, so ...).

Doesn't seem many folks here have seen this yet.
Is it in widespread release?

flyonthewall2983

#94 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:52 pm

I have that damn song stuck in my head.

kaujot

#95 Post by kaujot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 pm

It made it to Wichita Falls, TX, so it got a wide release.

And, just for the record, I really really enjoyed it. I didn't get any sort of sense of a "retread" from Anderson, unless you want to count having a dysfunctional family and friends as main characters counts as a retread.

HistoryProf

#96 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:50 am

My 11 year old daughter chose this with some of her birthday $ from an aunt and we watched it the other night. I was expecting to enjoy it, but I was not prepared for how much I was going to fall in love with it. On blu ray it's an absolute revelation. The animation is superb, the coloring sublime, and the humor just pitch perfect. I loved everything about it - and half way through my daughter looked at me and said "Dad, this is my new favorite movie." It was one of those experiences that is so unexpected it caught me off guard. I was truly mesmerized by it all...just a fantastic little movie.

King Prendergast

#97 Post by King Prendergast » Sun May 09, 2010 4:41 pm

The feminist scholar Judith Halberstam provides a short but provocative reading of how the film represents the liberation which attends the "release of the phallic burden" in this talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ05vzaLibY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#98 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm

I am trying so hard to give Wes Anderson a break, but I just didn't like this at all. The earlier described lack of engagement is the perfect descriptor. This movie, not unlike the loathsome the Life Aquatic, was like watching an art installation constructed by an artist so convinced of their achievements that the work needs no audience and applauds itself. I had previously speculated that perhaps a move to complete aesthetics would be an improvement, and yes, this is better than the nadir of Life Aquatic, but to what end-- this too is still barely a film. The disconnects between material and execution, the laughable narrative thrust and flimsy characterization, the self-satisfied intricacies of the details... how many retreads of the same faults can Anderson execute? To be fair, there were elements I appreciated: Jason Schwartzman's voice work is terrifically funny, but also only highlights how dull the rest of the voice cast is. I also liked the use of "cuss" in place of any bad word, allowing for somewhat vulgar lines to pass through unabated in clever quasi-sanitary fashion, but most of the dialog lacks any sparkle outside of much of its intentionally stunted quirks. This was like watching someone else play with toys-- let me play too, or play somewhere else.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and wrote "Darjeeling Limited" where I meant "the Life Aquatic"-- it's fixed now
Last edited by domino harvey on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

MitchPerrywinkle

#99 Post by MitchPerrywinkle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:11 am

This is one of the most infectiously joyful films I've ever seen. Every frame is made with craft and care, but you get the sense that everyone involved with making this movie is having fun. At times it feels like the product of a child's imagination when he plays with his toys on a rainy Sunday afternoon. But even if it weren't so brilliant from a technical standpoint, it's still a first-rate piece of entertainment. The script is pure Anderson without sacrificing some of Roald Dahl's themes, and the voice acting is top-notch. All in all, my very favorite Wes Anderson film, and one of my very favorite films of 2009. I am absolutely certain this will become a cult classic.

Jeff

#100 Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 am

Really surprised to hear that Criterion is releasing this -- pleasantly surprised, I guess, since I seem to have (d)evolved into the board's resident Wes Anderson fanboy. I had assumed this would be the one Anderson feature not to be picked up by Criterion for a variety of reasons.

Despite its relatively abysmal box-office performance, animated family films are usually cash cows for their studios on home video. I suppose though, that Fox's royalties from a Criterion release are probably at least as good as their margins on their own now bargain-priced DVD and Blu-ray releases. That release will be about four years old by the time the Criterion streets. Also, unlike most of Anderson's studio-released discs, the Fox Blu-ray had a 45-minute "making of" piece and a couple of other short featurettes. I guess those could end up on this release too. Surely the Criterion disc's new supplements will be aimed more squarely at the adult collector's market. There was some controversy upon the film's release when cinematographer Tristan Oliver complained to the press about Anderson's lack of involvement in the day-to-day shooting. It all seems like nonsense in retrospect, since the finished film clearly couldn't have been made by anyone else. I thought that hubbub might have squelched any chance of more serious supplements, like a commentary or interviews with the film's technical staff. I'll be curious to see if it is mentioned at all. I suspect Anderson and Baumbach have done a commentary, and I hope that one of the British TV docs about Dahl (perhaps Roald Dahl's Revolting Rule Book or There's Something About... Dahl) is included. Anderson's method for directing the animators was to shoot videos of himself acting out the scenes and emailing them to the team. It would be nice to see some of those included.

This movie has always ranked it the middle of the Anderson pack for me (fourth or fifth out of eight features), but I always come to appreciate his films more on further viewings, and this is the only one I haven't bothered to re-watch since its theatrical release. There is a lot of potential for a really great release here. The film always seemed destined to become something of a cult classic, and a Criterion release won't hurt that process. It's a fitting first animated feature for Criterion to release on five-inch disc.