1222 Victims of Sin

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Finch

1222 Victims of Sin

#1 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:26 pm

A treasure of Mexico’s cinematic golden age, this deliriously plotted blend of gritty crime film, heart-tugging maternal melodrama, and mambo musical is a dazzling showcase for iconic star Ninón Sevilla. She brings fierce charisma and fiery strength to her role as a rumbera—a female nightclub dancer—who gives up everything to raise an abandoned boy, whom she must protect from his ruthless gangster father. Directed at a dizzying pace by filmmaking titan Emilio Fernández, and shot in stylish chiaroscuro by renowned cinematographer Gabriel Figueroa amid smoky dance halls and atmospherically seedy underworld haunts, Victims of Sin is a ferociously entertaining female-powered noir pulsing with the intoxicating rhythms of some of Latin America’s most legendary musical stars.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
New interview with filmmaker and archivist Viviana Garcia Besné
New interview with cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto on the work of Gabriel Figueroa
Archival documentary on cine de rumberas, featuring interviews with actor Ninón Sevilla
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by scholar Jacqueline Avila

New cover by Lauren Tamaki

ryannichols7

Re: 1222 Victims of Sin

#2 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm

this is the one title of the month I'm interested in - some really solid letterboxd reviews and friends recommending it. keep the golden age mexico titles coming!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:14 pm

Haven't heard of this one but I'm most intrigued by it as well. I almost always prefer Criterion when they go for rescuing stuff like this over, well, 95% of what they've been releasing lately

Bressonaire

#4 Post by Bressonaire » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:27 pm

It got quite a lot of positive buzz when it played at Film Forum in New York a few months ago.