155 Tokyo Olympiad

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 155 Tokyo Olympiad

#101 Post by tenia » Sat May 16, 2020 7:26 am

I forgot they didn't make this a 2-BD set instead of cramming 1 hour of new extras + 45 min of archival extras + 85 min of deleted scenes.

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: 155 Tokyo Olympiad

#102 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm

There's no dedicated thread for Kawase Naomi, so I think this can go here: Kawase was commissioned to oversee the official movie for the "2020" Tokyo Olympics, which is due for release in June (after a Cannes premiere, I'd imagine). A making-of documentary aired on NHK last month and included an interview with a man who was described in one subtitle as a participant in an anti-Olympics demonstration, and in another as confessing that he was paid to do so. What the man really said was that he had been paid to participate in demonstrations before and that he was planning to join one against the Olympics; NHK were unable to confirm if he actually did. NHK has profusely apologized and explained that their usual fact-checking process wasn't followed because the program's theme was considered "soft" and it was only aired on a satellite channel. Kawase (who didn't shoot the interview) says she was unaware of the contents of the program in advance, which is credible enough since it was basically a promotional piece. This has blown up into a semi-major scandal, though perhaps due less to the scale of the offense itself than preconceived attitudes towards NHK, which Japan's governing right has long sought to bring to heel on any pretext and which is increasingly seen by many as a government mouthpiece.